Oracle or Programming

ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not sure which path to take.My school had an offer if you paid for one full tuition on one course you could take a second course free you just have to buy the books.I have a few choices Web Design,(not too interested).Oracle seems interesting or programming.I am leaning towards Oracle after talking to a couple programmers at work.Saying there is not much grattitude in the job just write it,make sure it works and move on.Although the average salary seems nice not sure about pursuing that.On the other hand Oracle seems somewhat interesting leaning towards that route.Any advice from any prgrammers or ODBA's?
Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

Comments

• SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I am neither of those but I will tell you this. I have seen a TON of jobs for programmers right now, and a lot of jobs for DBA's and the database admins are making some major jack. Both those jobs to me take a special kind of person to be good at it. Not for me.

Good Luck
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I'd take both.

also, i see a lot of programming jobs here in charleston compared to networking, makes me sad that i took networking... kind of...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Go with Oracle. Programmers are a dime a dozen. A good Oracle, or really any oracle dba makes good money and is easily marketable.

I have little to no experience with Oracle, but once I mentioned I worked with SQL they jumped on me.

Database experience is where its at currently.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    Go with Oracle. Programmers are a dime a dozen. A good Oracle, or really any oracle dba makes good money and is easily marketable.

I have little to no experience with Oracle, but once I mentioned I worked with SQL they jumped on me.

Database experience is where its at currently.
    +1 on the Oracle track.
  • ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was leaning towards Oracle and it keeps sounding like the right choice for me.Thanks guys,I appreciate your thoughts.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good choice ... a friend of mine was SQL Programmer / Developer and he was annoyed that he didn't choose Oracle instead as the market is huge (AND good paid which really is the important thing)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p