error during post of Switch

DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got a switch and booted it up. It displayed this:
switch.jpg

Havent fully tested it. But it appears to be ok. I'm surfing the web with a bunch of hosts connected to the switch. Works great. Havent tried VLAN or trunking yet. Should the error above effect that?

Thanks

Comments

• DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    and here is what i found during a sh config . The port that failed during startup shows something here.

Here is more info on that problem
    int.jpg

That showed up when I did a sho config

PS: is there anyway to check if I cleared ALL of the old user's settings? I noticed my interface was titled VLAN even after I did a reset on the switch. I didnt name it that
    Thanks
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    VLAN1 is a default VLAN on the switch. It will remain there no matter how many times you reload the switch. We use it primarily for management purposes (in order to telnet to the switch, you must have an IP address on VLAN1 and have a default-gateway setup on the switch).

As far as Fastethernet 0/5, remove unicast and multicast block on the interface (no port block unicast, no port block multicast). Those are on the interface to prevent a unicast or multicast storm from that interface. Those command are probably not going to be needed on that port for your purposes.

If you want to clear the entire config, do an "erase start", then a "copy start run", and reload the switch.
    forbesl wrote:
    VLAN1 is a default VLAN on the switch. It will remain there no matter how many times you reload the switch. We use it primarily for management purposes (in order to telnet to the switch, you must have an IP address on VLAN1 and have a default-gateway setup on the switch).

As far as Fastethernet 0/5, remove unicast and multicast block on the interface (no port block unicast, no port block multicast). Those are on the interface to prevent a unicast or multicast storm from that interface. Those command are probably not going to be needed on that port for your purposes.

If you want to clear the entire config, do an "erase start", then a "copy start run", and reload the switch.
    So the reason that port is failing during POST, is due to the multicast/unicast setting on that port?

By the way: i did a password reset on this thing. Then went through the configuration menu wizard to set it up. Is the config clear? Or should I do an erase start to make sure. If I do do an erase start, will I have to configure the entire switch again?

Furthermore, why do I have to specify a gateway on this switch(asked for one during setup). This is only layer 2.
    Thanks!
    So the reason that port is failing during POST, is due to the multicast/unicast setting on that port?

By the way: i did a password reset on this thing. Then went through the configuration menu wizard to set it up. Is the config clear? Or should I do an erase start to make sure. If I do do an erase start, will I have to configure the entire switch again?

Furthermore, why do I have to specify a gateway on this switch(asked for one during setup). This is only layer 2.
    Thanks!

Password recovery will not clear your config. Yes, if you do an erase start you will have to configure the switch again, it wipes out your configuration in NVRAM.

If you do not plan on managing your switch remotely (e.g telnet sessions), then I wouldn't worry about specifiying a gateway, nor do you have to assign an IP address to VLAN1.
    Help, I cannot clear the config. I've tried:
    erase start
    erase startup
    erase startup-config

It says it doesnt recognize the command "erase."

Any ideas?
    thanks
  • Mick_isaMick_isa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    try write erase
    Danh wrote:
    Help, I cannot clear the config. I've tried:
    erase start
    erase startup
    erase startup-config

It says it doesnt recognize the command "erase."

Any ideas?
    thanks

Try "write erase" in privileged mode.
    I think i screwed something up playing around with the web based config stuff.. The switch keeps rebooting. When it reboots all the LEDs turn orange. I get this error

reboot.jpg
    icon_sad.gif