Options

20MB Broadband over Fibre Optics

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've got a few adverts & flyers through the post recently about 20MB fibre optic broadband from Virgin Media (UK).

Has anybody got this yet and general discussion as to how you think this will evolve? Will other providers follow in these foot steps and do they have the infrastructure to do so?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/products/3246_legal.html

I can't actually find much info on how it's delivered and wether Virgin own the backbone etc, would be interested in some links if anybody has some to the techy stuff!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Verizon offers FiOS in the U.S. with speeds up to 50mbs (per their website). It looks to be a pretty good package. I'm sure it will catch on pretty quick. People will always want the next best thing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've had fiber optic internet for about 5 1/2 years and would never go back. Used to be 10MB symmetric, now it's 30MB (I could upgrade it to 50MB but its not worth the additional cost to me).
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verizon offers FiOS in the U.S. with speeds up to 50mbs (per their website). It looks to be a pretty good package. I'm sure it will catch on pretty quick. People will always want the next best thing.

When we were designing a new WAN/Internet infrastructure for our offices a while ago, Verizon FIOS was an option on the table for internet access...Its a damn shame they don't have it in our area... icon_sad.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Cool, glad to see it. I love my 20/2 cable here. I see 18/1.5 + at all times of the day and night.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    what does something like a 20m or 30m fiber connection run on a per month basis? Wish they had something in my area with that kind of connection.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    what does something like a 20m or 30m fiber connection run on a per month basis? Wish they had something in my area with that kind of connection.
    For me it's 10MB for $35, 30MB for $75, 50MB for about $130 I think. That's only to a select area of Vancouver though, everyone else is stuck with DSL and cable.

Here are the prices for Verizon's FiOS in the US.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    My oh my, I'd LOVE to get that 50/20 package. Geez that would be sweet.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    cablegod wrote:
    My oh my, I'd LOVE to get that 50/20 package. Geez that would be sweet.
    yess indeed, especially if you could use that connection to host. :D
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My friend has the virgin package and lives in central edinburgh - he gets 18mb. He says its sh*t hot and is way better than adsl in all aspects and im sure they only pay £20 a month - which aint too bad imo.

In the UK it will be mainly down to what BT to i guess. i read a few months back that BT would be willing to invest several billion pounds upgrading the UK infrastructure to support fibre to home links but interestingly said they would only do so if they could financially gain from it. and it only looked like it would be in major cities so if you live out in the sticks you have no chance for many years.

I understand they will have to recupe the money for installing the infrastructure etc but there's no way i want to go back to the BT rip off days. I know fibre to home is at a premium at the min but if BT had there way it would always be at a premium if it werent for some rivals giving high speed internet for free.

Here's the link i read:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7506742.stm
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    My friend has the virgin package and lives in central edinburgh - he gets 18mb. He says its sh*t hot and is way better than adsl in all aspects and im sure they only pay £20 a month - which aint too bad imo.

In the UK it will be mainly down to what BT to i guess. i read a few months back that BT would be willing to invest several billion pounds upgrading the UK infrastructure to support fibre to home links but interestingly said they would only do so if they could financially gain from it. and it only looked like it would be in major cities so if you live out in the sticks you have no chance for many years.

I understand they will have to recupe the money for installing the infrastructure etc but there's no way i want to go back to the BT rip off days. I know fibre to home is at a premium at the min but if BT had there way it would always be at a premium if it werent for some rivals giving high speed internet for free.

Here's the link i read:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7506742.stm

I had to leave virgin media (used to be telewest broadband) because I moved last year, i am not sure if they still do but they used to cap download limits in the evening to like 3mb down regardless of what package you were on. Yeh fibre is good but when a company starts capping to fit more people on the network it's a bit of a mickey take to say the least.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whats the upload speed ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pash wrote:

I had to leave virgin media (used to be telewest broadband) because I moved last year, i am not sure if they still do but they used to cap download limits in the evening to like 3mb down regardless of what package you were on. Yeh fibre is good but when a company starts capping to fit more people on the network it's a bit of a mickey take to say the least.

Hi mate,

Yeah my friend says its a constant speed with no caps. so i dont know if they've changed it or what? but i wouldnt be suprised if what you've said goes on.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I would love to have anything better then just plain cable, right now I'm paying around $30 for 1.5 MB connection with who knows how slow of upload speed. icon_cry.gif