Options

Out of office assistant displaying cached message

Office xp
Terminal Servers 2003
Exchange 2007

Select users have the inability to modify there out of office assistant always reverts back to and old message.

Any ideas where to start?

I can clear message via owa
tried blowing away profile... no joy
"You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try a supported Outlook client (Outlook 2003+) for Exchange 2007 and then let us know what happen. You can also use OWA to change OOF.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    royal wrote:
    Try a supported Outlook client (Outlook 2003+) for Exchange 2007 and then let us know what happen. You can also use OWA to change OOF.

Royal,

legacy versions of outlook are supported?
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    royal wrote:

Royal,

royal wrote:
    Try a supported Outlook client (Outlook 2003+) for Exchange 2007

:D
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    bjaxx wrote:
    royal wrote:

Royal,

royal wrote:
    Try a supported Outlook client (Outlook 2003+) for Exchange 2007

:D

Guess that somes it up...

sounds like you need some ass....
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:

Hm, not sure where that came from but ok.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    bjaxx wrote:

Hm, not sure where that came from but ok.

I was asking a serious question and your being cynical....

not sure where that came from but "ok"
  • Options
    Ok, I admit I was being a little cynical. I'm in the middle of quitting smoking. Can't help it. Sorry. icon_sad.gif And yes, legacy versions of Outlook are supported. All versions of Outlook 2003 and above are supported and Outlook 2000 is not supported but will still work. I did hear there have been some reported issues with Outlook 2000 but not a whole lot. The main reason for it not being supported is because Microsoft considered it too old and didn't want to do extensive testing with it and because of that, they won't be fixing any issues with it so it'll work 100% intended with Exchange 2007.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Ok, I admit I was being a little cynical. I'm in the middle of quiting smoking. Can't help it. Sorry. icon_sad.gif And yes, legacy versions of Outlook are supported. All versions of Outlook 2003 and above are supported and Outlook 2000 is not supported but will still work. I did hear there have been some reported issues with Outlook 2000 but not a whole lot. The main reason for it not being supported is because microsoft considered it too old and didn't want to do extensive testing with it and because of that, they won't be fixing any issues with it so it'll work 100% intended with Exchange 2007.

Your explanation is much appreciated....

If I have to migrate to office 2007, or even office 2003 I will. But I have to make it justifiable to the hire ups.

Probably me as well - I sometimes take what we do way to serious as there is alot of pressure to perform. And me being fairly young and only a few years of experience out of college, I want to succeed. I take what you guys say very seriously...

my two cents for what its worth.

I'll have a crown royal for you tonight:0
  • Options
    If they were to upgrade, definitely Outlook 2007. The thing with Exchange 2007, is it contains a feature called the Autodiscover Service. This is a service that allows the Outlook profile to automatically be created both internally as well as over Outlook Anywhere.

Now let's say you were using Outlook 2003. Outlook 2003 cannot achieve this type of functionality. So let's say you are in a disaster recovery situation and you need to restore your data to a new server. Well, Outlook 2003 will need to manually be updated or you can use something like Exprofre or a PRF to update Outlook 2003. With Exchange 2007, you can run a command like move-mailbox but add -configuration only. This will have the Autodiscover service automatically update AD with the users mailbox. Outlook 2007 will automatically see this change and update the profile.

So Outlook 2007 is awesome for recoverability. Also, for things like Unified Messaging, Outlook 2007 can automatically detect UM and display a tab in Outlook to allow the user to change their PIN, Play on Phone, Etc... It also contains a built-in media player for UM Voice Mails.

Overall, if you're using Exchange 2007, I would highly recommend going to Outlook 2007.
  • Options
    Here's a good article about why upgrading to Exchange 2007 is nice:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/office2007_beta2_02b.asp

One of his categories is Auto Account Setup but take into consideration what I wrote before about how it can be used in recoverability.

And another thing to take into consideration is that if you guys need to ever call MS support, if they see you're running on Outlook 2000, they may tell you that you need to upgrade to supported software before they will troubleshoot.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Here's a good article about why upgrading to Exchange 2007 is nice:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/office2007_beta2_02b.asp

One of his categories is Auto Account Setup but take into consideration what I wrote before about how it can be used in recoverability.

And another thing to take into consideration is that if you guys need to ever call MS support, if they see you're running on Outlook 2000, they may tell you that you need to upgrade to supported software before they will troubleshoot.

I really do apprecaite your time to express your knowledge...

I will look into upgrading our office enviroment, so not looking forward to doing this with the access databases we have makes me cringe....

I am soley just tired of hearing our sales dept state that there out of office assistant not working...
  • Options
    Don't take me saying that it's because you have Outlook 2000 it's not working as that may not be the case. I'm just saying that Outlook 2000 isn't supported with Exchange 2007. Your OOF issues may not be the cause of Outlook 2000.

I did a google search for issues with OOF not working and came up with a couple articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248709
    http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/tools/troubleshooting-out-of-office.html

And if you do move to Outlook 2007, you'll have to learn how to configure Autodiscover services since the Outlook 2007 clients will no longer utilize public folders for OOF/OAB/Etc... They'll start to use the CAS for this which will require you to know how to configure these services from both the inside and outside.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Don't take me saying that it's because you have Outlook 2000 it's not working as that may not be the case. I'm just saying that Outlook 2000 isn't supported with Exchange 2007. Your OOF issues may not be the cause of Outlook 2000.

I did a google search for issues with OOF not working and came up with a couple articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248709
    http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/tools/troubleshooting-out-of-office.html

And if you do move to Outlook 2007, you'll have to learn how to configure Autodiscover services since the Outlook 2007 clients will no longer utilize public folders for OOF/OAB/Etc... They'll start to use the CAS for this which will require you to know how to configure these services from both the inside and outside.

I have the configuration setup using autodiscover, we have a handful of entourage/outlook 2007 users. and utilizing the /public for public folders.
  • Options
    Not saying Outlook 2007 "can't" use public folders, just saying that Outlook 2007 for the OAB/OOF/FreeBusy will use the CAS instead of Public folders while previous versions will use public folders. If you have other public folder data, Outlook 2007 will still be able to work with that data.

Sounds like you have the -internalurl's set up correctly. If you didn't, your Outlook 2007 clients would be seeing certificate errors all over the place.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Not saying Outlook 2007 "can't" use public folders, just saying that Outlook 2007 for the OAB/OOF/FreeBusy will use the CAS instead of Public folders while previous versions will use public folders. If you have other public folder data, Outlook 2007 will still be able to work with that data.

Sounds like you have the -internalurl's set up correctly. If you didn't, your Outlook 2007 clients would be seeing certificate errors all over the place.

yeah when I set that up, I figured out how valueable powershell is. When I get my mcse I will focus on powershell, however I often think about vbscript as well...
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    royal wrote:

yeah when I set that up, I figured out how valueable powershell is. When I get my mcse I will focus on powershell, however I often think about vbscript as well...

Due to the change in behaviour of Out of Office, you need to set the default behaviour for the legacy clients. This is done in EMC, under Org Config, Hub Transport, Remote Domains. Right click on the default and choose Properties. You can then change the OOTO settings there.

Furthermore you can add additional remote domains if you want them to see the internal OOTO messages. Add the domain as a new remote domain and adjust the setting.