Options

new to linux

nangananga Member Posts: 201
Hey guys ...am a newbie to linux.. Installed fedora on vmware. I am trying to learn linux by going through books....but no luck at it.

Can anyone suggest me a better way to get a hand on linux !

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just start using it. Look around for tutorials on how to do certain things. Figure out what you are planning to use it for, then go do it. http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/ <-- that site has a lot of tutorials on how to get various things up and running.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    thanks buddy ....I am planning to just learn linux so i can fell comfortable if i have to work on linux to work with nessus or some other tool... :)
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always suggest getting it up on running on a real machine. That way you have to deal with particular hardware problems, finding and installing drivers and researching specific issues with certain hardware.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What books are you using? There are plenty of good linux books out there that can show you the basics.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For absolute beginners I personally recommend you use VMWare Player and use a pre-configured virtual appliance. These are more or less virtual machines that are ready to run -- no need to play around setting it up. This allows you to quickly work on a linux machine without the intimidation normally seen.

Once you are familiar with more of the basics (basic shell commands, navigating through directories, editing using vi/emacs, utilizing man/info pages, etc), learning the more advanced features is simply a matter of time. Take time to build a good foundation of knowledge and go from there.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tech109 wrote:
    What books are you using? There are plenty of good linux books out there that can show you the basics.

I'm not using linux books anymore ... used few in 90's (in the 386/486 proc. era) when start with linux, as an alternative to unix ;)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Start with a distribution like Ubuntu, you'll find great video tutorial on it at www.vtc.com, seriously worth the $30. Once you have nailed the user interface then start in on your Linux+, using Fedora or CentOS.

Pay special attention to the SUDO command, they assume you are running as root in a lot of books...
    -Daniel
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Start with a distribution like Ubuntu, you'll find great video tutorial on it at www.vtc.com, seriously worth the $30. Once you have nailed the user interface then start in on your Linux+, using Fedora or CentOS.

Pay special attention to the SUDO command, they assume you are running as root in a lot of books...

Ubuntu is definitely the best distro for a beginner it runs very well with most hardware and makes the transition very easy.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shednik wrote:
    Ubuntu is definitely the best distro for a beginner it runs very well with most hardware and makes the transition very easy.

Very true - I remember Ubuntu was the first distro which recognised my GeForce 5900 Ultra (yepp, been a while :P )
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p