I managed to squeak out an 822...

Implement EIGRP operations 66%
Implement multiarea OSPF operations 70%
Describe integrated IS-IS 85%
Implement Cisco IOS routing features 70%
Implement BGP for enterprise ISP connectivity 72%
Implement multicast forwarding 75%
Implement IPv6 87%

I used the Self-Study guide for the BSCI by Teare and Paquet, the BSCI Lab Portfolio, notes from packetlife, and GNS3 (dynamips).

Four months later, I thought I owned the material, only to come across no less than ten questions on material I had never read. Had to make a few educated guesses.

Good thing I crushed the sims I faced... that had to help.

So, two down (BCMSN and BSCI)... on to ONT.
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Good luck on the next one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:
    I managed to squeak out an 822...

Implement EIGRP operations 66%
    Implement multiarea OSPF operations 70%
    Describe integrated IS-IS 85%
    Implement Cisco IOS routing features 70%
    Implement BGP for enterprise ISP connectivity 72%
    Implement multicast forwarding 75%
    Implement IPv6 87%

I used the Self-Study guide for the BSCI by Teare and Paquet, the BSCI Lab Portfolio, notes from packetlife, and GNS3 (dynamips).

Four months later, I thought I owned the material, only to come across no less than ten questions on material I had never read. Had to make a few educated guesses.

Good thing I crushed the three sims I faced... that had to help.

So, two down (BCMSN and BSCI)... on to ONT.

Congrats on passing. Not what I wanted to hear about it being hard, but that is the next test I am taking as well

Looks like you did really well in IS-IS. Most people I have read about, are not really studying up on that, as its not widely implemented. But good for you :D\

Good luck on the ONT. I hope to take my BSCI here in Oct sometime.
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Congratulations! I'm doing battle against this tomorrow hope I can come away with a pass as well :D:D
    WIP: IPS exam
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    congrats on the pass Mike. BSCI is a tough exam, and a pass is a pass!

I found the same when I took it, about 4-5 questions on things that were 100% guesses to me.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass mike!!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congratulations! I'm doing battle against this tomorrow hope I can come away with a pass as well :D:D

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Congrats!

I just passed mine as well.. it isn't easy by any means.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Some people have called this exam the "widow maker"! :) Personally, I really liked it but it probably depends on what floats your boat. icon_wink.gif Good luck with the rest.

Good luck nicklauscombs tomorrow. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Grats on the pass. I haven't taken the current version of BSCI, but the last version was hard enough. Like you, I went into it thinking I knew the material pretty well, but I got smacked with quite a few EIGRP questions that weren't covered in any of my study material and I had to guess on. Looking at your score in the EIGRP domain, looks like you may have gotten hit the same way.

Still not entirely sure if I'll have to retake the new version, but I might do it anyway, and I won't look forward to it.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    forgot to add my congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Congratulations!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    ITdude wrote:
    Congrats man! Some people have called this exam the "widow maker"! :) Personally, I really liked it but it probably depends on what floats your boat. icon_wink.gif Good luck with the rest.

Don't get me wrong... I liked learning the info. After working in nothing but EIGRP environments, I enjoyed learning more about the differences, and found BGP and ISIS quite interesting.

I wasn't in the least bit intrigued with multicast, though IPv6 was a neat learning curve. So many things still to learn.

I guess that after doing all the studying / prep / labs that I've done for 4 months straight I expected not to be blindsided by so many questions that I didn't have a clue about. Here's a vague example...

If you have an IP like 10.10.10.1, how could you convert this to IPv6? I went back through my Study Guide and the Exam Prep, and neither discuss this conversion process. I'm pretty sure I guessed right, but still... I hate guessing.

Anywho, it's done, and will go down as the toughest exam I've personally written. Oddly enough, I passed it, while I've failed two MCP exams that I didn't think were as hard. Go figure.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which study guide did you use? If it was the Cisco Press one I know that was in there. There was only one question I sat back and was like WTF?! icon_eek.gif In a nut shell:

*pic of network diagram* Build an IS-IS routing table in your head.

That one caught me completely off guard until I figured out what to look for.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□