Passed 298

I sat the 298 exam yesterday afternoon. It wasn't too bad 30 questions with 1 drag & drop. No sim's. Scored a 946. My highest to date. :D

I used the Sybex & CBT video's to study for this.
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Congratulations, a great score.

I have found CBT nuggets to be an excellent study source. Did you find the 298 nuggets helpful?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It looks like that makes you an MCSE, congratulations!

What's next for you?

Personally, I liked the nuggets better than the MS Press book. The book felt like it was just a bunch of security checklists, and it was really difficult to learn from (but it's a good reference for actual practice).
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Congrats and great score!
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Wow, they had a drag'n'drop on this test? Didn't know that! Congratulations on your MCSE! So as dynamik said, where to next?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I liked the cbt video for this exam, the sybex book is really good, but it can get pretty mundane after awhile, so its a nice change of pace.

I'm not sure yet if I want to go after the 70-351 or the 70-299 exam next.

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! 70-299 from what I hear is the same as 70-298. Makes me wish I did my 70-298 when I did my 70-299 (297 was required by my company). So if you want your MCSE:S and not really learn much more, go for 70-299. The 70-351 will be completely different from 70-298.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and the MCSE! icon_thumright.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job.

Did you know some of the material before you read the Sybex book or did the Sybex book teach you a lot of things you were unaware of?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats xntrix!!!!

EDIT okay my bad, you have the same avatar as xntrix18....congrats ITAdmin!!! :D

EDIT 2: Okay now Im really confused...you must have changed your name....forgive me, Im hanging by a thread of sanity here :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I had some knowledge beforehand, but it also reinforced things that I knew but was a little sketchy on. I was really surprised on how short the sybex book was *400pgs*, after reading some of the monster MS press books that usually push 1000-1100pgs.

I have heard that also that the 299 has a lot of overlap from the 298 exam, so I think for that reason I'm going with the 70-351 exam, time to learn something new :D

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    IT_Admin wrote:
    I had some knowledge beforehand, but it also reinforced things that I knew but was a little sketchy on. I was really surprised on how short the sybex book was *400pgs*, after reading some of the monster MS press books that usually push 1000-1100pgs.

I have heard that also that the 299 has a lot of overlap from the 298 exam, so I think for that reason I'm going with the 70-351 exam, time to learn something new :D

Plus you gain MCTS cert for whatever that's worth.

P.S. Congrats. I might end up sitting 298 at some point. I'm thinking about saving it until after I get CISSP if I ever decide to go for that and then use the cert for recertification credit for CISSP.
    Good luck to all!
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on the pass and MCSE
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. I'm not purchasing the CBTs so are there any other reading materials that do well for this exam? I have access to Microsoft/Sybex/Syngress. I like reading the Sybex books generally but they never cover all the material needed for any exam I've seen.

Also you have a void in your posts, how did you do on the 291 and 293?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote:
    Congrats. I'm not purchasing the CBTs so are there any other reading materials that do well for this exam? I have access to Microsoft/Sybex/Syngress. I like reading the Sybex books generally but they never cover all the material needed for any exam I've seen.

Honestly, go through the MS Press 299 book. It goes into a bit more depth on things like EFS and SSL that weren't covered in 291 and 293. Other than that, nearly everything was from those two. The 298 book was basically just 1000 pages of lists of best practices. It's good to skim, and even better to use when working with those things in the real world, but it's very hard to learn from. It's better used as a reference. This is why I think you should knock 298 and 299 out at the same time. They're basically the same content delivered in different formats.