Options

PC audit over network

I use a bit of Software called Belarc Adviser to do reports on machines to see the make and model number, along with many other useful information. I was just wondering if there is any Software available that can get these reports 'silently' over the Network? I don't want to disturb the clients, also they are quite far away from us so if we could do it remotely that would be great. In this case, my reason for doing this is i'd like to see what make/model number the PCs are for memory upgrades.

Thanks,
Luke

Comments

• Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    If you are running Windows Update Services, it will tell you the type of computer and the OS on it. I use belrac as well for local workstations.
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    macdude wrote:
    If you are running Windows Update Services, it will tell you the type of computer and the OS on it. I use belrac as well for local workstations.

Unfortunately this client isn't set up this way but I do now remember what you mean, it's within the remote SUS Software for each computer. They have updates coming direct to each machine through the router icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I use a program called lansweeper

Another way to do this is to create a logon script that runs the systeminfo command.

maybe something like this....

systeminfo >> "Networklocation"\%computername%
  • Options
    Updates directly to the machine dosent that take a lot of bandwidth?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SMS client
    WMI scripts
    Solarwinds LANSurveyor

SMS and Solarwinds would be overkill if all you want is some simple basic informtion. WMI would probably be better where you can connect to AD, look at all computers, perhaps determine if they're associated with an XP/Vista/Client OS, and then do some WMI queries against them.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    macdude wrote:
    Updates directly to the machine dosent that take a lot of bandwidth?

It does but there's only a few PCs plus they have 8MB Broadband so it isn't an issue in this case. For my other clients that i've taken over the support for i've changed it to WSUS straight away.
  • Options
    8MB thats pretty nice. I have 4MB down and 1MB up at home, but that does not compare to the FIOS though.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    SMS client
    WMI scripts
    Solarwinds LANSurveyor

SMS and Solarwinds would be overkill if all you want is some simple basic informtion. WMI would probably be better where you can connect to AD, look at all computers, perhaps determine if they're associated with an XP/Vista/Client OS, and then do some WMI queries against them.

That's a bit over my head to be honest but thanks all the same. I've heard of WMI queries before through AD to query certain aspects of computers on the Network but have never used it before (not had the need until now as I used to be in a small 20 user office so it would have been a bit lazy icon_lol.gif ) How exactly do you use the WMI then icon_confused.gif:
  • Options

Another way to do this is to create a logon script that runs the systeminfo command.

That lansweeper looks great, but I don't have SQL on the clients Server at all. Is there any other way of finding out the model/make of some PCs remotely with a nice easy to use GUI? (for free obviously icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Run this command as an admin from the run or cmd line:
    %windir%\system32\dllcache\msinfo32.exe /computer [i]computername[/i] /nfo c:\temp\computername.nfo

Or you could just run %windir%\system32\dllcache\msinfo32.exe to bring up the GUI, then go to VIEW>REMOTE COMPUTER.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    mr2nut wrote:

That lansweeper looks great, but I don't have SQL on the clients Server at all. Is there any other way of finding out the model/make of some PCs remotely with a nice easy to use GUI? (for free obviously icon_wink.gif )

I don't think it's required for the client machines.... Just the server. For the Clients you run the LsClient.exe "servername" command

I put mine in the Sysvol with my logon scripts and just added to the logon to run the lsclient program.
  • Options
    Cheers for suggestions. I've actually managed to go to computer management and connect remotely to each machine then right click the properties and it brings up the system properties from control panel, job done :)