Exchange - OOF Help

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone, I know NOTHING about Exchange. I was asked by the boss to set someone's out of office. Before I go and reset the guy's password and log in as him is there a way to set someone's out of office from the admin console?

Exchange 2003/outlook 2007 client

thanks in advance
-Daniel

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know much about exchange either, but can't you delegate some control to yourself?

Be careful with resetting passwords because as that'll cause problems if he has EFS-encrypted files.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't know much about exchange either, but can't you delegate some control to yourself?

Be careful with resetting passwords because as that'll cause problems if he has EFS-encrypted files.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to bump the user and change the password.

You can do this through owa to - might be best to have the user logon to owa from home or whatever and change his assistant.

Royal, Thoughts?
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont know any setting in AD to set the out office but you can definetly set it up on OWa or Outlook
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Log onto your exchange server as the admin. Grant the admin rights to the mailbox(es).
    http://www.petri.co.il/grant_full_mailbox_rights_on_exchange_2000_2003.htm

Then create a new outlook profile, using the user you want. Open the new outlook profile. Set the out of the office. Log out and log off Windows. Done!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Log onto your exchange server as the admin. Grant the admin rights to the mailbox(es).
    http://www.petri.co.il/grant_full_mailbox_rights_on_exchange_2000_2003.htm

Then create a new outlook profile, using the user you want. Open the new outlook profile. Set the out of the office. Log out and log off Windows. Done!

well done
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can also use a tool such as:
    http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/downloads/

Once it's set up, much easier to do OOF for other users than what is mentioned above. Also, granted mailbox access just for setting OOF may violate security policies and be considered a violation of privacy.

He includes a video on how to do this as well as the tool to do it.
    dynamik wrote:

I know that you get that warning prompt when resetting a user's local password, but have you ever tried this? I've tried this with a "local" user using files, resetting his pass with local admin, and then the user was still able to access encrypted files.

I've also tried this with domain accounts instead of local accounts and same thing with a CA on the network so the user retrieved an EFS Certificate from the CA.

*shrugs*
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just double-checked with a local account on XP, and I got an access denied error after resetting the password. I wasn't sure if he had any recovery methods setup, so I wanted to throw out a quick warning just in case.
    Hm... I'm using a Server 2003 VM as a client. What machine did you try this on? I may have to try with my Vista desktop. I did some more reading on this after I posted and doesn't seem to be an issue with domain accounts, only local accounts. But as I said, I tried both.
    Ok, just tried now on a completely non-domain joined machine and what you said is what I experienced. I changed the password and was locked out of the files. Odd this didn't happen to me with my domain joined machine even when using local accounts.

Will have to test again in a bit.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Give yourself full mailbox access to his mailbox

Log in to owa using your credentials, and then append /alias (where alias is his email alias). You can access his options from OWA without even messing with creating and deleting profiles...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Ok I tested again and was denied. I had to re-login twice for it to start denying. Weird!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    Ok, just tried now on a completely non-domain joined machine and what you said is what I experienced. I changed the password and was locked out of the files. Odd this didn't happen to me with my domain joined machine even when using local accounts.

What to your data recovery agent policies look like for the domain-joined machine?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...