NO EXPERIENCE IN LINUX: NONE!

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am using VMWARE with both Ubuntu and Fedora. For the experienced Linux users, what book would be advisable to use FOR THIS YEAR (most current book/s) that would allow me to pass this test? Some said its a pretty basic exam, while others said it was tricky. Can you all give me your opinion? I really don't have time for all of that 6-12 months experience crap. Give or take 3 the most. Thanks icon_eek.gif
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would check out the Sybex book for this exam...

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Study-Guide-3rd-XKO-002/dp/078214389X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219201145&sr=8-2

Just do a search on amazon.com and you will see several books for this exam. Also, if you really want to learn the inner workings of Linux I would recommend checking out linux from scratch.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Of course if you are just interested in passing the exam read the books and play around with Linux for 2 or 3 months in a VM and you should be able to pass the Linux+, although in my opinion you would be better off learning all you can about Linux vs. just trying to pass the exam. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well just to let you know they are getting ready to release an updated exam in 09. I just got this in an email.
    CompTIA has just conducted a job task analysis (JTA) of the CompTIA Linux+ exam as part of the development of a revised exam for 2009. The next stage in exam development is a survey of CompTIA Linux+ certified professionals. The purpose of the survey is to statistically validate and confirm the content for the revised CompTIA Linux+ (2008 Edition) Exam Objectives developed during the recent JTA workshop.

While I would not rank the test as hard I would say tricky. I personally did not like how it had such a strong Red Hat feel to it and also I did not like some of the ways they asked about command syntax.[/code]
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Hmmm, 3 months with no experience period? Its going to be tough. Know your commands and the flags. Not saying you can't do it, but you will have to put in some good time in learning it. I would suggest installing CentOS and Debian.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Certification-Study-Guide-Guides/dp/007148874X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219202988&sr=8-1

It's a great book, but it needed to be a little more detailed for the exam.

I've heard good things about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Linux-2005-Depth-Jason-Eckert/dp/1592007287/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219202988&sr=8-3

Check out Transcender and/or CBT Nuggets as well.

There's a very well done practice exam for free here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35375

I think three months is doable. Just go slowly. There's a lot to take in, and you're going to burn out and get discouraged if you try to rush through it.
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Well just to let you know they are getting ready to release an updated exam in 09. I just got this in an email.
    CompTIA has just conducted a job task analysis (JTA) of the CompTIA Linux+ exam as part of the development of a revised exam for 2009. The next stage in exam development is a survey of CompTIA Linux+ certified professionals. The purpose of the survey is to statistically validate and confirm the content for the revised CompTIA Linux+ (2008 Edition) Exam Objectives developed during the recent JTA workshop.

While I would not rank the test as hard I would say tricky. I personally did not like how it had such a strong Red Hat feel to it and also I did not like some of the ways they asked about command syntax.[/code]

I read that the certificate was going through a revamp this summer but I never read when the release date will be.

Do you have a link to this information?
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mike3 wrote:

I read that the certificate was going through a revamp this summer but I never read when the release date will be.

Do you have a link to this information?

Unfortunately I do not as I got that in an email. It also did not include a date stating when they would be done and release the revamp. Best I could do would be to link to a press release for when they announced the revamp.

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/brief.cfm?item=15419
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They keep the current exam active for something like six months after the new one is released, so people don't get caught off guard. I wouldn't worry about it and would just start working on the current one. You're going to end up with a Linux+ either way.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your advices. I've decided to focus more on the Linux 2005 In Depth book, along with some practice tests and practical exposure so i can feel more comfortable in the Linux environment. :P
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup: