Router stuck at startup

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
Hi guys,

I think something has been damaged in my router after a power failure happened. I really don't know, but this is what I'm getting when I power it up:
System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE
SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number
loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "flash:n"

It's not taking me to rommon prompt, it just hangs there forever.

Could somebody please help me with this one.

Thanks ;)
2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Can you perform a "Ctrl-Break" when you first turn on the power and get into rommon mode that way?
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    no. ctrl+break doesn't work. it displays that same msg at an interval of about 5 seconds.

icon_redface.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I never seen that message before, so I did a quick search at cisco.com and it seems your flash is either empty or the file system is corrupted. To solve it you will need to 'upgrade' (install) the IOS... but if you can't get to a prompt... icon_sad.gif

Is the person or company you borrowed the router from a registered customer?
    Well my friend said these routers came with some other telephony equipment. They're most probably registered with the guys they bought the equipment from, but he doesn't know anything else about the registration.

So you're telling me it's really that bad icon_redface.gif . oh my God.

I tried to email Cisco about the AUX problem I used to have a couple of months ago, but they told me they can't help unless I give them my support code or something like that.

I don't know if I can get my friend to ask that company for the registration information --I doubt he can find it, but I can try. Is there anything else we can do besides that?
    Here is what cisco says:

Note: There are instances where the system message "Device does not contain a valid magic number" appears. If this happens, in addition to getting a valid Cisco IOS software image, you might need to reseat the Flash or replace it, if it is damaged.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/130/recovery_c2600.html
    That is some sound advice from forbesl, although in this case I doubt the flash moved out of its socket by the power failure.

Here's something that might (just thinking outloud here...) be an option:
    place the flash as additional flash in an other router, erase it (or copy a valid IOS image to it?), and place it back, and start praying ;)
    I tried to email Cisco about the AUX problem I used to have a couple of months ago, but they told me they can't help unless I give them my support code or something like that.
    Yeah, that is what I was getting at, 'Cisco' might know a trick.
    Webmaster wrote:
    That is some sound advice from forbesl, although in this case I doubt the flash moved out of its socket by the power failure.

Hey, gimme a break...it wasn't MY advice, it was Cisco's. icon_sad.gif

Anyway, the second part could be correct: the flash could have been damaged by the power failure. Like you, I highly doubt it could have been physically moved .
    :o I actually didn't mean that sarcastic and was complimenting you for the good advice...
    Anyway, the second part could be correct: the flash could have been damaged by the power failure.
    Yeah, could be. @2lbs, do you know what kind of power failure it was? Do you have the option to check the flash by testing it in another router?
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I had this problem with one of my 2610s. It ended up being a bad flash chip that needed to be replaced.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    yes Johan, I do have another router, but I don't know which chip is which.

Basicly there's this one RAM style chip in a SIMM socket and two other socketed chips which look like EEPROM's.

I've removed that RAM style chip and replaced it with another one from the other router, but the problem is still there. So I guess that RAM style chip must be the DRAM and not the flash memory.

I can draw a diagram and post it if you want.

Thanks,

2lbs.
    Thanks for the link forbsel.

Well the problem was the chip next to the Boot ROM. I removed it and replaced it with another one from the other router. It worked.

Is there a way I can remove all the contents from the faulty chip, or do I have to purchase a new one?

2lbs.
    Thanks for the link forbsel.

Well the problem was the chip next to the Boot ROM. I removed it and replaced it with another one from the other router. It worked.

Is there a way I can remove all the contents from the faulty chip, or do I have to purchase a new one?

2lbs.
    I'm 99.9% sure the chip is fried. You will have to purchase a new one if that is the case.