Options

BSCI... almost made it

nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
first off...wow....that is a hard test

I only failed by 20 points though so for a first attempt I'm pretty proud of my score and I completely nailed the simulations
however I really sucked in multicast (IPV6 tunnels was also something I underestimated) so I will be getting down and dirty in TCP/IP Vol II to fill in the gaps
Does anyone have any suggestions for labs and/or other documents that could aid my multicast study?

The best part though is when I went to reschedule the test this morning (thank goodness for the secondchance :D) I found out there's a newly opened testing center where I live, gotta love only driving 5 minutes instead of an hour or two.

a week or so more of study some blue braveheart face paint and i'll be ready to go back for more
WIP: IPS exam

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man. Keep up the hard work!

and here's me thinking this is the next exam im going to take icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear that. This was a pretty tough exam, and Cisco always seems to get you on what you least expect!

When ever I need to brush up I always use the Internetworking Technology Handbook. A lot of great information there.

Good luck on the next attempt!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely lab up some of the multicast and IPv6. There are some design guides on ciscos site that are quire helpful as well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/design/guide/nd2013.html
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wow....that is a hard test
    You mean hard practice test, right? Don't forget the SecondChance.

Good Luck on your real attempt! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    The BSCI is beyond brutal.. I would even call it a bit masochistic.. but that's me.

Somehow I nailed all of the multicast questions and did almost as well on IPv6.. I wish i would have done a bit better in IPv6 , but meh what can you do.

The tunneling stuff is a bit confusing.. 6to4 , manual.. GRE(though thats not really covered here).. Check the cisco IOS docs on IPv6 and Multicast.. it really helped clear things up for me. Also on the multicast its kinda hard to lab up without having some extra work in there.. as in generating a multicast stream. I thought the hardest thing for me was RPF and how it builds trees.. and understanding the mroute table is a bit confusing too.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    +1 Plazma... the BSCI is offside. Far too much info for the level of depth of the questions.

And ditto on understanding the mrouting table. Whatever!

You've got the right attitude, Nick... you'll knock it out of the part in the second round.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that it is hard, not because of what it is just because of all the material that is covered. But missing it by 20 points isn't bad at all. You'll get it next time. Good luck!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.