Online MS degree in IT Infrastructure or IT Management

DhillonDhillon Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am looking for an online MS degree in IT Infrastructure or IT Management. Anybody done already or know some good and cheap universities (Preferably from Canada, USA, UK, Australia etc), because I have to pay from my pocket. I already have 2 year BSc and MSc in Computer Science (2 year) from a reputable university from Pakistan.
Thank you in advance.
M.H. Dhillon
MSc (Computer Science), ITIL@v3,
OCE DBA (RAC, Linux and SQL),
OCP DBA (Oracle 8, 8i, 9i, 10g and 11g),
MCTS and MCITP DBA (SQL Server 2005),
SCSA (Sun Solaris 10)

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    When is comes to universities, "good" and "cheap" are usually mutually exclusive terms.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    When is comes to universities, "good" and "cheap" are usually mutually exclusive terms.
    True for universities and most sysadmins. (That's not to say I'm not good. I just happen to be cheap. . . and easy.)

Seriously, though Dhillon, you're not going to find any university that's "cheap" if you want something reputable. Look for scholarships, loans, whatever else you can get your hands on. Just because you already have two degrees, doesn't mean you're automatically disqualified from getting financial aid.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    On the other hand, the school I work at costs as much as Harvard and yet I would rank it on the bottom 2% of schools.
  • DhillonDhillon Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    please tell me the names of some reputable universities for online MS degrees .
    M.H. Dhillon
    SCSA (Sun Solaris 10)
  • JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dhillon wrote:
    please tell me the names of some reputable universities for online MS degrees .

A little late but if you are still reading this -- I will have my masters in information science this October 2008 from the University of Phoenix (online).

It takes a boat load of discipline to complete as there are mountains of readings and writing (no tests) and absoutely no one to push you when you get lazy.

Good luck!

JJArms~
  • Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @JJArms - Have you found the UOP program to be worthwhile? I've always been curious about this school, and now a former classmate of mine works there, so I was thinking of pursuing a degree there someday.
  • DhillonDhillon Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They just have one MS in IS. It is look like an MBA MIS. I am looking for some techinal MS.
    M.H. Dhillon
    SCSA (Sun Solaris 10)
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Dhillon,

You should check out the thread I made with tips for online programs. Then, you need to make some decisions. For example, do you want this:

1. Kinds of Accreditation:

National, Regional, and whatever the gold standard is for your degree

2. I can't emphasize this enough. Sort through the lists of colleges that I posted on my thread and find one yourself.

Here is what I did to find alternatives to the expensive Universities of Pheonix's, etc out there.

I look at the 15 states with the lowest cost of living in the United States. Then, I went through each and every school. I was quite surprised to find a number of programs that no one knew about.

For example, I found a Masters in Computer Information Systems for a total cost of $10,000 with an online program. The program was regionally accredited and from a reputable public university. They didn't have ABET accreditation, but a lot of school's don't.

I found a Master's in Software Engineering with full ABET accreditation with a total cost of $15,000.

I found a Bachelor's in Information Technology for a total cost of $8000 for the entire program.

3. I don't want to name the programs because my role here is not to be a salesman and I don't want to endorse any programs as I'm not responsible for the experience that one gets.

But here is what I found.. I found many schools with great programs and great fully accredited, Doctorate faculty.

Dhillon, go through the list and look carefully at each college. Some of them won't have online programs, but you will be surprised at the number of them with great programs.

But don't shortcut the need for good research. Furthermore, and I want to emphasize this, a number of programs have free tuition waivers if you agree to research with the professors. One nice thing about certifications is that you offer the PhD's something that they don't normally have from students: READY TO GO SKILLS ON MODERN TECHNOLOGY.

Many of them will be happy to offer you a tution waiver. You should find the programs and ask.

Look carefully at the non-profits and you will be happy.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day