block rang of ip address in ASA5005

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Forum,
I am trying to block youtube and a few other sites. I do a nslookup and place the ip address in the ASA, and block the IP, but youtube is not being blocked. I went onto ARIN.NET, and arin returned an range of addresses.

What am i missing, i am not that strong with ASA CLI commands, so i am using the ASDM 5.2 managment utilitiy. just not sure what to do at this point.

thank you,
Dat
Arrakis

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Large sites like that will have a load of IPs, often in different ranges so ACLs won't really do it for you. Getting a webfilter (there are free Linux versions out there, or appliances like The Barracuda filters or Websense (integrates well with Cisco products)/Bluecoat for server installs) is the best option, alternately and MUCH more awkward is to use an IPS (Snort INline would be your free option) and use Content/ReGex to block urls.
    Trust me and get the webfilter.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'd say use BGP to blackhole AS36561 and then send it to your upstream provider *cough*
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If only ASA's supported BGP ;)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Oh no. I wasn't being serious. I was just saying you should do what Pakistan Telecom did when they knocked YouTube off the internet a while back :D
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    tiersten wrote:
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Oh no. I wasn't being serious. I was just saying you should do what Pakistan Telecom did when they knocked YouTube off the internet a while back :D

I forgot all about that....hilarious :D