New to Techexams: Just earned my MCDST

PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hello,

I have been reading this site for a while now and decided to register. I just earned my MCDST yesterday, scoring 838 on the 272. :D

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and welcome to the other side of the forum. :D
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job. Hopefully you want hate it too much here. I'll be looking forward to future posts.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Congrats and welcome!

Would you mind sharing why you chose to pursue your MCDST after your MCSA:S? I am curious, are you still planning on getting your MCSE(:S)?
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    cacharo wrote:
    Congrats and welcome!

Would you mind sharing why you chose to pursue your MCDST after your MCSA:S? I am curious, are you still planning on getting your MCSE(:S)?

I personally think that its good to show that you can handle desktop support as well as the server stuff - needed in a smaller organization - do both roles myself - breaks the monotiny.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    cacharo wrote:
    Congrats and welcome!

I personally think that its good to show that you can handle desktop support as well as the server stuff - needed in a smaller organization - do both roles myself - breaks the monotiny.

I think so too. Your path just seemed a little atypical to me. Are you planning on further server studies?
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree that going from MCSA:Security to MCDST might seem to be moving backwards. I am going to a school that allows you to get certs. I signed up for the MCSA:Security Program as that seemed like a good start. Of course very few companies are going to hire you as a paper MCSA, maybe as a junior admin. I have about 9 months experience in the IT field, so getting time under my belt is what I need now.
    The job I have now is mostly desktop support, setting up for various events, new installation, etc. I don't get a lot of work on servers as we have admins for that. I am planning to finish up with the MCSE down the road....hopefully my company might pay for it. I am also looking into getting an AA degree and moving up to a bachelors later on. Eventually, I would like to get enough experience to work into the security side of things,maybe go for CISSP.
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Good Luck and Welcome to the site.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    cacharo wrote:
    cacharo wrote:
    Congrats and welcome!

I think so too. Your path just seemed a little atypical to me. Are you planning on further server studies?

I've just started looking at the 70-291 but could take a while as the DNS stuff is a bit [cough cough] heavy handed. Got various books etc., perusing over best learning route for me at present. If I can get past that (which completes an MCSA), on to Vista and Server 2008 routes I reckon.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think the 291 is as bad as it is made out to be. I finished it in about 10 weeks. It is the toughest course I have taken to date. Hands-on was the best way for me to learn. Use the server software included in the book. Or better yet, get the Virtual PC images and play with the DC, Member servers, and clients. I also used CBT nuggets and the practice tests in the MS book.
    DNS makes up the bulk of the exam along with DHCP, RRAS, and Security like IPSec.
    Good luck to you if you decide to go for it!
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Welcome to the site.... icon_thumright.gif
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka