dhcp options PXE boot

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently setting up a lab to boot a thin client from a debain server which will be located on a remote subnet.

So I figure how I would do this is have a DHCP relay but i'm a bit confused about the config.

should I find out what udp port PXE is using and use 'ip forward-protocol udp (port)

or use

ip dhcp pool thin-client-subnet
option 128 ip (debian server IP)

I won't have the server in front of me till tomorrow so I can't test between the two configs
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you trying to use the router/switch for DHCP or the debian server?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Are you trying to use the router/switch for DHCP or the debian server?

I'm not 100% how the server is set up yet, or if it's asking as a DHCP server aswell, I think it probably is.

if the debain box is a DHCP should I use the 'ip forward-protocol' on the relay

and if it's not use the 'option 128 (debian IP) on the DHCP server I have in IOS?
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to use th "ip helper-address" if you want it to forward the DHCP broadcasts to a DHCP server on a remote subnet. The "ip forward-protocol" will tell the router what protocols to forward, DHCP is on by default. Also if you are using a switch as the relay you may need to enable the dhcp service (like the 3560/3750) for the realy agent to work.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    You need to use th "ip helper-address" if you want it to forward the DHCP broadcasts to a DHCP server on a remote subnet. The "ip forward-protocol" will tell the router what protocols to forward, DHCP is on by default. Also if you are using a switch as the relay you may need to enable the dhcp service (like the 3560/3750) for the realy agent to work.

I have two routers with a serial connection between them. The debain box will be at one end and the thin client at the other.

So if I use the router connected to the debain box as a DHCP server I need to forward the protocol on the relay. But then on the DHCP server do I need to configure an option for PXE or should I use 2 x ip forward-protocol commands on the relay, one for the router(dhcp server) and one for the debian box?