Things Not to Say in an IT Interview

ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
We are interviewing candidates for a Help Desk position here, and if the rest of the candidates are anything like the first this is going to be a very entertaining process. In fact, I may have to open another tread about things not to do in an IT interview...

Things Not to Say in an IT Interview:

'I don't really like TCP/IP'

'I still live with my mother'

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What was their follow-up to not liking TCP/IP? Espousing the greatness of IPX/SPX?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "I enjoy hacking as a hobby."

Anything ****-related.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "I've never really grasped subnetting"
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Had one guy who said

'I'm not interested in learning anything new' icon_eek.gif

*Dr Evil voice* riiighhhhhtttt..........
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I interviewed for a expert level admin before. I had to interview in front of 7-8 people, mostly HR and the entire IT crew at that location. Well they had 1 title but multiple job duties for each person.

They were basically telling me that they don't support many of the enterprise stuff. And that a woman who had been there for about 3 years was the last one hired. They told her and I can almost quote, that they gave her all the crap jobs because she picked up the slack that needed to be done. And that they were looking to move a lot of those jobs to my position....

So at this point I'm shaking my head and they are TELLING me they are trying to stick it to me. So I asked.

Me: "So what kind of jobs are these?"

Them: "Well like print problems and file server permissions and stuff."

Me: "Yeah? I don't like printers really that much"

Them: "hahahahaha yeah. So you would be doing other things like cleaning up user accounts and assigning computer accounts."

Me: "I see. I don't really like creating user or computer accounts anymore."

lol
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    undomiel wrote:
    What was their follow-up to not liking TCP/IP? Espousing the greatness of IPX/SPX?

Well, the candidate was in his mid to late 30s and his resume listed experience with a few versions of Novell. No certifications though - not even A+.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I knew I posted this before:
    dynamik wrote:
    Here's a Family Guy clip (probably NSFW as well)

I'm surprised you didn't pimp your old thread Mishra. It's relevant!
  • Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    claymoore can the candidate work remotely? or do you all have an office in maryland to work from?
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Kevin10686 wrote:
    claymoore can the candidate work remotely? or do you all have an office in maryland to work from?

Interesting question to come out of the woodwork after 3 years with...
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
    jryantech wrote:
    I won't say neither of those things... icon_lol.gif

Striiiike one!
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah I would only read the forums and than I forgot my password and finally had them send me a new one.
    Kevin10686 wrote:
    yeah I would only read the forums and than I forgot my password and finally had them send me a new one.

Welcome! Nice to finally hear from you!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you got called out on your double negative icon_lol.gif
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    dynamik wrote:

I hate English grammar. icon_redface.gif

And since I'm in the peer group of the "internet age" it is quite hard to grasp anything related to grammar.

But still, I will not say anything like "I dislike TCP/IP" or "I live with my mother" even though both might be true. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

And since I'm in the peer group of the "internet age" it is quite hard to grasp anything related to grammar.

But still, I will not say anything like "I dislike TCP/IP" or "I live with my mother" even though both might be true. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You need to make sure you have good grammar in as office setting. Especially when it comes to emailing employees and presentation. When you first start out in a job, everything you do (good or bad) is under the microscope. Not saying you should be fretting about it, but something to be conscious of.
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

You need to make sure you have good grammar in as office setting. Especially when it comes to emailing employees and presentation. When you first start out in a job, everything you do (good or bad) is under the microscope. Not saying you should be fretting about it, but something to be conscious of.

Well I try much harder in an office setting, plus I care more about the red lines underneath my words. But on a tech forum. Not so much. icon_cool.gif

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

but its so hard with places like icanhascheezburger!!! to view at will!!! icon_lol.gif

you should probably avoid any or all references to lolcats during an interview, imo icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    spelling also counts too :) I used "as" above instead of "an"
    Wonder why I'm saving Freshman Comp 2 until my LAST semester...

Boy nothing demoralizes me more then spending 20 hours on a paper and not being certain of an A.

I mean if I spend 20 hours on a math problem, I KNOW I'M RIGHT.

In English the teacher is bascially dictating when it comes to an Essay.

jryantech wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Well I try much harder in an office setting, plus I care more about the red lines underneath my words. But on a tech forum. Not so much. icon_cool.gif

Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, this forum (and forums in general) can be a great place to fine tune your text-based communication skills. There are a lot of very well spoken people to learn from. I for instance, have learned on several occasions that my dry sense of humor does not always translate the best. It again has been proven that it still needs work. I think I may have to start using /sarcasm tags.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say, "I farted." in an interview... I would just let them find out themselves icon_lol.gif
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

but its so hard with places like icanhascheezburger!!! to view at will!!! icon_lol.gif

you should probably avoid any or all references to lolcats during an interview, imo icon_cool.gif

I can haz job?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I can haz job?
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif that was good.

dont wurriez, Iz call u bak in fu dayz
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    "I hate it when users ask dumb questions."
    "I just went to Defcon and learned some really cool tricks."
    "Dress code? Really???"
    "A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar..."

other examples: one word answers, no sense of humor, no smile, poor body language
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another one you shouldn't say:

Interviewee: "Drug test? Ooooh that's gonna be a problem..."

Or:

Interviewee: "Wow that receptionist is smoking hot!"
    Interviewer: "That's my daughter."
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Anonymouse wrote:

"Drug test? Ooooh that's gonna be a problem..."

I was just about to post something along those lines like...

Durg test? Can you give me a few weeks before I have to take it?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Anonymouse wrote:

Interviewee: Nicccccccce
    I used to run the internet.
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote:

Interviewee: "Drug test? Ooooh that's gonna be a problem..."

Or:

HAHAHAHHHAHAHAH icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Anonymouse wrote:

Interviewer: Nicccccccce

lmaoooooo...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Very true, - one of the first days of the job I am at now (been there two years now, moving on though) I sent an email to the staff and I had a grammar mistake - one of the directors emailed me and told me to make sure I had it right the next time - she was really nice about it, but they do look for these things!