20 Year old Resume and Job advice

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi next year I will be graduating with my B.B.A. in Network Systems, along with my A+,Security+,Network+, and CCNA. How would i set up my resume in terms of these prior employments and references. I mean i did some jobs, but not really relevant to networking you know. Being a college student unemployed, and graduating, where should I start? icon_rolleyes.gif I don't think I would have to start at the bottom though, geez. I would still have the degree with some experience regardless.
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    bubble2005 wrote:
    Hi next year I will be graduating with my B.B.A. in Network Systems, along with my A+,Security+,Network+, and CCNA. How would i set up my resume in terms of these prior employments and references. I mean i did some jobs, but not really relevant to networking you know. Being a college student unemployed, and graduating, where should I start? icon_rolleyes.gif I don't think I would have to start at the bottom though, geez. I would still have the degree with some experience regardless.

Dang, graduating at 20? What did you do take college courses during high school? I'm 20 myself still in college...
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yo I had no life, i was doing full course along with summer course, and then a cert each year.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    That is motivation right there...

I won't be out of college until I'm 24!

You make me feel like I'm slacking off icon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
    So where should I start?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bubble2005 wrote:
    I don't think I would have to start at the bottom though, geez.

This is the kind of thinking that makes people have a hard time finding their first IT job. You should realize you are going to have to start at the bottom unless you get lucky or know someone. A lot of people believe that with their degree and certs they will start out as an admin or engineer and then are disappointed when they end up on helpdesk. Just use the entry level job as a stepping stone and you will work your way up quickly if you are motivated.

If you want to get into the world of networking you should try to get an entry level job at an ISP working in a NOC. You should get your hands on some real gear there and gain that valuable experience to move up.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Ok thank you, I really appreciate that advice. I will remain motivated no matter what icon_cool.gif
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    jryantech wrote:

damn now i feel like a slacker, i'm just finishing college and im 28, but then again I did waste a few years studying zoology icon_confused.gif Although I did really enjoy zoology. Just as long as it gets done i suppose.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jryantech wrote:

Same here, I'm almost 22. icon_redface.gif
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    bubble2005 wrote:
    Ok thank you, I really appreciate that advice. I will remain motivated no matter what icon_cool.gif

Start by working on your resume and sending out lots of applications, especially for junior level network admin/engineer jobs. It should be pretty easy to work your way up with your qualifications, and the experience will prepare you for a senior network admin/engineer job. Personally, I think help desk would be a waste of time, and you should be able to avoid it with your qualifications, I did.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    The biggest thing about your situation is experience. The certs are good, but without proper experience and knowing how an enterprise environment works so that you can apply those skills, you will need to start at the bottom. Good luck though, you sound very motivated.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    You are already on the right track! Get your degree and continue certifying.

the Network field of I.T. is a whole lot more competitive than other fields of I.T. like programming, design, hardware design, etc. This is due to the vast amount of certifications and training available for this portion of I.T. without needing to go to college. Your education and certs will help you out in the short and long run when it comes to management, promotions, and possibly skipping Help Desk and maybe starting at Desktop/Network Support. Who knows....someone may give you the opportunity and bring you in as a Junior Network Engineer/Admin.

While you gaining your certs, learn, soak in, simulate, and practice as much as you can with the technologies, so when you do get those interviews you will impress both on paper (resume), and with the skills. Apply, apply, apply, and don't really read into the experience requirements too much...you may still get that opportunity. My Systems Admin job had a description of 5 years experience doing XYZ technologies as required, but they gave me a shot without the experience. I just applied and interviewed like crazy until someone gave in :D .

Good luck with your future endeavors and stay optimistic. Never say can't and use can't to motivate you.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Everyone quit b*tching about being in your 20s and not having your degree yet!!!!! I'm 31 and will finally graduate this fall! I did spend 8 years in the Navy, though, so no college loans for this or my upcoming MBA.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone quit b*tching about being in your 20s and not having your degree yet!!!!! I'm 31 and will finally graduate this fall! I did spend 8 years in the Navy, though, so no college loans for this or my upcoming MBA.

Yeah, but i bet you will appreciate your education more than 90% of 18-21 year olds around the world.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bubble2005 wrote:
    I don't think I would have to start at the bottom though, geez.

This is the kind of thinking that makes people have a hard time finding their first IT job. You should realize you are going to have to start at the bottom unless you get lucky or know someone. A lot of people believe that with their degree and certs they will start out as an admin or engineer and then are disappointed when they end up on helpdesk. Just use the entry level job as a stepping stone and you will work your way up quickly if you are motivated.

If you want to get into the world of networking you should try to get an entry level job at an ISP working in a NOC. You should get your hands on some real gear there and gain that valuable experience to move up.

Good luck!

Networker, I dont think I need to name names here when you speak of this above ^^^ icon_wink.gif

bubble, you are in a fantastic position. Your credentials should easily allow you to find an excellent entry level job. Consider that your "in", work your ass off, and watch how fast you move up the food chain.

BTW my first sentence was not aimed towards you bubble! Best of luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most people know at least one person posting here that suffers from not accepting they have top start from the bottom. icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    You should probabley skip help desk and look for desktop tech+ . Maybe even Jr network admin. I know a lot of people say you need to get your foot in the door, but with your certs/degree you can easily bypass resetting passwords all day long icon_wink.gif

Honestly if you cannot find a job doing that then the helpdesk jobs take like 2 days to find (depending on your area) since there are so many and the turn over rate is so high.
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bubble2005 wrote:

Start by working on your resume and sending out lots of applications, especially for junior level network admin/engineer jobs. It should be pretty easy to work your way up with your qualifications, and the experience will prepare you for a senior network admin/engineer job. Personally, I think help desk would be a waste of time, and you should be able to avoid it with your qualifications, I did.

+1
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Aldur wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

damn now i feel like a slacker, i'm just finishing college and im 28, but then again I did waste a few years studying zoology icon_confused.gif Although I did really enjoy zoology. Just as long as it gets done i suppose.

:P I am 28 and just starting my MS. icon_eek.gif nm, that's a good thing isn't it.

Get an entry level job with the university you just graduated from and work you a** off. When you leave in a couple years you will be able to confidently hand your resume to an employer and land a nice job.