Options

Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle RDBMS?

I want to get into one of these, which do you recommend?

Also please list books/online training that would be good with these as well, if you can.
And any certifications someone entry-level can work towards.
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Depends where you wanna work, imo. Oracle's pretty much only used in big companies as you may know, whereas some small-midsize businesses may use sql server as well as larger companies.

If you go with Oracle, you're probably limiting who will actually care you have the cert.

Personally, I would choose Oracle. I've studied one of their entry certification books and it was actually interesting to read.

I don't remember their certs, but there's a page where they list them all. G'luck.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I tend to agree with the above aside from I wouldn't say do one or the other, but let you decide. SQL is better if you're trying to get your foot in the door in any employer, where as Oracle would be better to land a job in a large enterprise who are looking for someone specifically for Oracle.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Why not learn a little of both?
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    From my little knowledge of SQL/Oracle I would say learn SQL and oracle will come natural. The database structure is a little different, but 90% of the commands carry over and thats what really matters. I haven't had to do any Oracle upgrades, but I did a bunch of SQL 2000 to 2005 and I would imagine the Oracle structure would be a lot different. Oracle guys make more money, but its usually a prereq to have SQL/Crystal Reporting background.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Oracle RAC DBA's/tuning gurus make a killing, and it seems to be fun work.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre