Options

Difference in protocol types

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

I was reading on the forum about knowing the difference between distance vector and link state, and I understand the difference between the individual routing protocols, however, im looking for a one-liner (or at least less than 100 lines :)) description of the differences.

Distance-Vector:
- Routes by rumor. Sends it routing table to the next in line, and so on and so forth.
- Convergence can be an issue since you explicitly trust your neighbor to report on the correct state of a link/network.
- Most distance-vector protocols send out their entire routing table on predefined timers to sync up.
- Examples of routing protocols:
- RIP
- IGRP
- EIGRP (Advanced Distance Vector).

Link-State:
- Each router "makes" its own map of the network, instead of relying on its neighbors routing tables.
- Changes are flooded through the entire network so the link state algorithm can run on each router as soon as possible and make a quick convergence.

However, the line's are blurring with EIGRP and even the current RIP implementations, which feature triggered updates, and in EIGRP's case, partial updates and no timed updates.

Just looking for a few more conceptual differences to add to my mind map.
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Link state protocols know about the entire network (or area).

Distance vector only know about directly connected neighbors and what they tell them (hence the routing by rumor).

That's about as short as I can get it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Link state route properties are more detailed usually generated by the source and that info is propagated to other routers giving a complete picture of the topology

Distance vector information is generated by the neighboring router and not always 100% authentic (because it is not coming from source)

Because distance vector protocols don't have the "whole picture" it has to rely on other mechanisms for convergence. For example EIGRP will have to query if no feasible successors are found in the topology table
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Link state protocols know about the entire network (or area).

Distance vector only know about directly connected neighbors and what they tell them (hence the routing by rumor).

That's about as short as I can get it.

I like the concise explanation, couldn't have said it better myself :D
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Thanks. :)
    Studying for CCNP (All done)