CompTIA Drops "IT" from Project+ Name

rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
News announcement from CompTIA (as reported by Cert Cities).
http://certcities.com/editorial/news/story.asp?EditorialsID=679

This does make a lot of sense, and broaden up its appeal, since PMI is really seen as the major player in the Project Management certification.

How much of the exam is tech related as it stands now?

Take Care,
rcoop
Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+

Comments

• timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam is not really IT oriented as such, although some of the questions use IT related scenarios. For the most part you don't actually have to understand the in-depth IT nature of these questions, just as long as you understand the broader business/project concepts.

Actually, I found that one of the more difficult aspects of this cert was that it wasn't very heavy in IT. Rather it was more or less just on best business/project practices and concepts.
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Thanks for the reply.

Being IT Project + certified, do you think it is better having the IT dropped in the naming, or having concentrations in IT-related certifications and knowledge think you'll keep the "IT" at the front of the cert on your resume, etc...?

Take Care,
    rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the IT at the front of the name, but I don't know that it would make much difference (I went after this cert because it was 'outside' the pure IT certs that I had previously persued).

If you have a bunch of IT related certs, and a non-IT PM cert - it goes without saying that you know IT PM, since PM is PM - concepts are the same, IT or not.

My cert on the wall says "IT Project+" so I figure I'll leave the IT in.
  • clock43401clock43401 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rcoop wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

ROFL! Thanks for cheering me up with this message.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never seen this exam, is this something new comptia came out with? I would probably just stick with PMP unless this offers anything new outside of the basics.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • The TempestThe Tempest Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say that as CompTIA stands for Computing Technology Industry Association. A focus on Project management as it applies to the computer technology field is inherently implied.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I can see what you mean since the cert it still around 4 years since they made the change.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    shednik wrote:
    I can see what you mean since the cert it still around 4 years since they made the change.
    icon_lol.gif