resume help

yanyoyanyo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, i've been using this resume for 2 months now and still not getting any call backs...
I recently graduated with a BS in information tech and a minor in network & comp security..
now im working on my net+ and sec+....
no IT experience so far just customer service/ sales jobs in the past...

any comments/recommendations?

Thanks!!

OBJECTIVE:
To obtain a position in the IT field that will allow me to share and further my knowledge.

EDUCATION:
University of Central Florida
Bachelor of Science, June 2008
Major: Information Technology
Minor: Security in Computers & Networks
Certifications in progress: Network+, Security+

SKILLS:
Networking & Technical:
•Knowledge in networks include configuration, LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, DNS architecture, switches and network analyzing tools like Wireshark.
•Windows XP and Linux experience.
•Basic programming skills in C and Java.
•Vast experience in Microsoft Office.
•Experience in troubleshooting and repairing computers.

Information Security:
•Knowledge in digital forensics (data recovery, encryption, intrusion investigation) using tools like FTK.
•Knowledge of vulnerability assessment practices.
•Developed security manuals following the NIST 800-12, issue and program specific standards
•Knowledge of security methods and practices in private and government organizations, focusing on the need to integrate information security with the business architecture.

Interpersonal skills:
•Self-starter who can work both independently and in a team environment.
•Ability to manage multiple tasks in a pressured environment.
•Quick learner who can rapidly master all aspects of a job with minimal training.

LANGUAGES:
Fluent and literate in Spanish

EXPERIENCE:
job1, city, state
Teller Associate (2004-2006)

job2, city, state
Sales Associate, Computer Dept (2004)

job3, city, state
Customer Service Agent (2002-2004)

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I know most guys will say throw away your objective, that should be on your cover letter.

Not to sure on the "In Progress" thing for the certifications unless you are going to a school for those. Personal study. Not so much.

Interpersonal skills? First time I have ever seen that on a resume after going threw a load of people and sites building mine.

You were at a University.. Is there a reason you did not get an Internship? Might want to check with the Internship Office and see if its not to late :)

You seem like you have some good knowledge and being bilingual is so awesome now and days... But be careful, most companies want to stick you and keep you at customer service because you can speak 2 languages icon_lol.gif

Anyway good luck.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    yanyo wrote:
    Hi, i've been using this resume for 2 months now and still not getting any call backs...
    I recently graduated with a BS in information tech and a minor in network & comp security..
    now im working on my net+ and sec+....
    no IT experience so far just customer service/ sales jobs in the past...

any comments/recommendations?

Thanks!!

OBJECTIVE:
    To obtain a position in the IT field that will allow me to share and further my knowledge.

EDUCATION:
    University of Central Florida
    Bachelor of Science, June 2008
    Major: Information Technology
    Minor: Security in Computers & Networks
    Certifications in progress: Network+, Security+

SKILLS:
    Networking & Technical:
    •Knowledge in networks include configuration, LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, DNS architecture, switches and network analyzing tools like Wireshark.
    •Windows XP and Linux experience.
    •Basic programming skills in C and Java.
    •Vast experience in Microsoft Office.
    •Experience in troubleshooting and repairing computers.

Information Security:
    •Knowledge in digital forensics (data recovery, encryption, intrusion investigation) using tools like FTK.
    •Knowledge of vulnerability assessment practices.
    •Developed security manuals following the NIST 800-12, issue and program specific standards
    •Knowledge of security methods and practices in private and government organizations, focusing on the need to integrate information security with the business architecture.

Interpersonal skills:
    •Self-starter who can work both independently and in a team environment.
    •Ability to manage multiple tasks in a pressured environment.
    •Quick learner who can rapidly master all aspects of a job with minimal training.

LANGUAGES:
    Fluent and literate in Spanish

EXPERIENCE:
    job1, city, state
    Teller Associate (2004-2006)

job2, city, state
    Sales Associate, Computer Dept (2004)

job3, city, state
    Customer Service Agent (2002-2004)

Its going to be tough for awhile, you definetly have a great backbone with the b.s but in all reality most employers look at on the job experience. Probably a pretty bright dude, just need a shot. Took me three years out of college for my "shot".
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    with your previous jobs, try to quantify things as much as possible and how you contribute to improving the bottom. For example, as a sales associate you could say helped generate $X amount of revenue over the period of Y.

If you helped train anyone or contributed to the business process add that as well. Along with any skills you may have picked up in previous employment that could be transferable to a job you are looking for.

Good Luck!
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I would retool this whole resume. You need to make things as quantitative as possible even if you don't have actual enterprise experience. List things that you have done at home. You have in the skills section Linux, Windows. Okay what about them? What type of skills do you have in them?
    You have programming abilities, have you programmed any cool apps? Experience doesn't necessarily just mean work experience. Use all your resources.
  • yanyoyanyo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks you all for the recommendations..
    I'll try to reorganize/add some stuff using the quantitative approach remy mentioned.

I don't know if it makes sense but the reason i didn't specify "tasks" under previous jobs was because they might be irrelevant to an IT position, so i try to focus more on skills gained etc.
  • the_erickeethe_erickee Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if I would put Certs in Progress on there. Only certs actually obtained. I feel like if i were to put MCSA in progress and i only have N+, A+, would be kind of a fib. but thats just me.
    Erick Marshall - @erickbm

MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 2015,VCAP,VCP5 x2,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+