Vlaning and QoS/CoS

ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
Hello All,

I have a question regarding vlaning and QoS settings if it is needed or recommended in this situation...

Here goes...

The company I work for recently implemented video conferencing between 3 remote sites. At each site we have a vlan created specifically for and only for the video traffic. This vlan goes to the AT&T managed router which is then routed out to our MPLS network. We had AT&T setup the correct QoS/CoS settings for the MPLS network but we have not done any QoS/CoS changes on our network. Now I could have sworn I read somewhere that it is still recommended to setup QoS on the vlan even though it is the only traffic that is on that vlan. Could anyone shed some light on this if I am correct or not ? The reason I am asking this question is because I am receiving terrible picture quality with the video equipment on a multipoint call but our point to point calls come in crystal clear. The vendor that sold us the equipment is pointing the finger at our network.

Thanks!!

Zaits

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the point-to-point work fine it may be an issue with the MCU or the site where the MCU is located (if it is located at another site).

Even if the traffic is the only traffic on the VLAN I'm guessing there is a trunk in the mix some where so you will want to ensure the frames are marked correctly to receive priority.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Even if the traffic is the only traffic on the VLAN I'm guessing there is a trunk in the mix some where so you will want to ensure the frames are marked correctly to receive priority

Yep you are correct the video equipment is directly connected to a cisco switch that is trunked to a sub-interface created on the managed AT&T router. This is configured the same way at the other two sites.