What kind of skills and what level is needed for entry level

MrNobodyMrNobody Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
What kind of skills and what level is needed for entry level IT positions? I know that is a pretty wide range of possible jobs. I'm thinking along the lines of an desktop tech in an IT department or maybe a NOC tech or something along those lines.

I always see these types of jobs being advertised, but I never know if I should apply or not. I do have my A+, network+ and CCNA. Of course certifications are just pieces of paper, they don't really mean I know anything.

Anyways, most of these jobs have similar requirements like understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP etc...

So, I know how to spell all of those protocols and stuff, but what exactly do they mean by know? Is knowing what they are used for enough? Being able to setup clients and do basic troubleshooting enough? I don't know... I mean, I setup and run my own dns, email servers, web servers and am currently using them to host my mail and websites. Does this mean I know enough? I still don't feel like it. I feel like my knowledge is incomplete. This applies to other subjects too. I happen to run centOS for all my servers and even my desktop, but I still feel like I don't know enough about linux to put it on my resume, or to claim I actually know how to use linux. Same goes for my various programming "skills". Or my knowledge of active directory and other microsoft technologies. Although, at least with the microsoft stuff I can say it's because I never really go a chance to do anything outside of the context of simply doing it as a lab exercise. The same goes for the CCNA. Even though I spent many hours building and playing around with my lab, it was still just a lab.

What exactly should I be focusing on in order to have a more solid base of knowledge for such positions? Also, what kind of positions should I be looking for?

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    with A+ Net+ and CCNA you are more than qualified for an entry level position

most importantly don't be afraid to apply for jobs that interest you, remember the worst that can happen is you don't get the job
    there is always a lot of wishful thinking on the part of the company when they write the job descriptions
    good luck on the job search
    WIP: IPS exam
  • MrNobodyMrNobody Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been told that before about the certifications, but I tend not put much weight into those. Primarily because I know what I knew when I got those certs (and did fairly well, sadly), and I don't see how they can be as anything more than having a little bit more knowledge than the average user.

I suppose you're right when it comes to just applying for them and seeing how it goes. I often times tell myself this, but I manage to talk myself out of it because I don't want to ruin my chances of getting that job in the future. Basically, I feel like I need to continue to prepare for the future...

Maybe I need shrink instead.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    MrNobody wrote:
    I've been told that before about the certifications, but I tend not put much weight into those. Primarily because I know what I knew when I got those certs (and did fairly well, sadly), and I don't see how they can be as anything more than having a little bit more knowledge than the average user.

I suppose you're right when it comes to just applying for them and seeing how it goes. I often times tell myself this, but I manage to talk myself out of it because I don't want to ruin my chances of getting that job in the future. Basically, I feel like I need to continue to prepare for the future...

With the name like mrnobody and the way you just ranted on... Have some self confidence - there is nothing worse than an IT professional who can't stand behind his/her work.

If you have certs, there's a reason - you knew your $hit...

I disagree every interview will make you that much better and that much more confident.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bjaxx wrote:
    MrNobody wrote:

With the name like mrnobody and the way you just ranted on... Have some self confidence - there is nothing worse than an IT professional who can't stand behind his/her work.

If you have certs, there's a reason - you knew your $hit...

I disagree every interview will make you that much better and that much more confident.

I agree. Even then, when you first start off, every place I go to expects that you don't know anything and break you in until they're confident with your capabilities, but that also requires you to be confident with your capabilities. They're not going to expect you to be perfect, get out there and go for it. If there's something you don't know that you need to know, then they should be able to help you get to where you need to be.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MrNobody wrote:
    I do have my A+, network+ and CCNA. Of course certifications are just pieces of paper, they don't really mean I know anything.

I have to disagree with you there. The fact that you studied for and passed these does show you know something, though I can see where you are coming from. More importantly, they show you're willing to study, learn and put the effort in off your own back. These are vital personal skills for a successful career in IT.

Basically I'm agreeing with what bjaxx said, have a bit more confidence in yourself and your abilities and go and apply for 'entry level' roles that you are interested in. Chill out, be honest, do your best in any interviews and take heart in the fact that you'll surely get a good role somewhere plus you'll get some great interview experience and feedback.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mr Nobody, you have to lighten up on yourself. Trust me that the nature of IT work, be it customers, end users, production expectations and deadlines, will put enough pressure on you, so why add to it. With those certs that you've earned, I believe you're quite a bit ahead of the average user.

My first IT job, I had no "real" experience outside of an A+ cert that was a month old, and an old P2 for testing. I had no computer experience outside that of a user before studying for the A+. I was very nervous my first day, and during the first week, I started to doubt if I even belonged. I think you're way ahead of where I was starting out. (I guess that means that nobody is better than me...Mr Nobody, that is). I think you'll do great. In fact, the only thing that could be a real obstacle to your success, is your confidence.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrNobody wrote:
    I feel like my knowledge is incomplete.

No ones knowledge is ever complete. Thats the beauty of learning and striving to improve oneself. There is also no shame it not knowing about a topic, thats what forums like this are for :D
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    MrNobody wrote:
    I feel like my knowledge is incomplete.

No ones knowledge is ever complete. Thats the beauty of learning and striving to improve oneself. There is also no shame it not knowing about a topic, thats what forums like this are for :D

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know! icon_lol.gif
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Amen!
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of in the same predicament. I have a recent BS in IT and no experience to speak of. I've been studying for the Security+ exam and hope to take it next month. I've also been trying to tag along with the IT department where I work to try to get a little bit of practical knowledge. My resume is lacking in IT experience and that usually means more to prospective employers than a 4-yr degree.
  • DhrystoneDhrystone Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say, for entry-level work, all you really need is your A+ and Network+. As long as you have a solid understanding of hardware, MS Office applications, and networking essentials, you're pretty well on your way. A basic understanding of Novell (NetWare) will help you too, depending on where you find work. At my previous job, we had to know at least how to reset passwords on NetWare.

If you want to get into system administration, the MCSA/MCSE certification path is good - go for the Windows Server 2003.
  • dragonx27dragonx27 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With your skills/knowledge you are more than qualified for entry level. I just started getting my working IT experience 2 years ago and I was at about your point in certs (only had Sec+ above you, trust me it's nice if the people who are hiring you know about it, but that's usually not the case and whoever is reading it easily looks over it).

Most important thing starting out, hands down, is great customer service.

Setting up and running servers, protocols, etc and not knowing how they operate will make troubleshooting all the much harder.

Don't settle for the first thing that gets offered to you, you should be a little choosy on what position you take.