Looking In the Wrong Places?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Im just wondering If Im looking in the Wrong places for jobs? I live in the UK and I check the Jobs Paper Regualry and there is never really that many IT Technican Jobs that come out in the paper maybe a few Schools and College jobs but thats all really sometimes theres non!
So I was wandering if Im looking in the wrong place for Jobs and I was wondering if theres any places you could recomemd that I can look at any papers that I could buy that may have more jobs cos there just dont seem to be much out there to look for.

Any Pointers for a Tech Support/Desktop supoprt Guy in the UK?

Comments

• oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    I'm not from the UK, but I presume there are good number of online job searching sites no? Hopefully someone form the UK can point you in the direction of a few.
    I used to run the internet.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi mate,

Which area of the UK are you in? You'll find there's tons of jobs in southern england but the rest seem to be in drips and drabs at the moment seen as the economy isnt too great etc.

Where do you looked for jobs? try some of these:

monster
    cwjobs
    jobserve
    reed
    totaljobs
    itjobswatch

If you are willing to relocate you'll find more options open to yourself.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    Hi mate,

Which area of the UK are you in? You'll find there's tons of jobs in southern england but the rest seem to be in drips and drabs at the moment seen as the economy isnt too great etc.

Where do you looked for jobs? try some of these:

monster
    cwjobs
    jobserve
    reed
    totaljobs
    itjobswatch

If you are willing to relocate you'll find more options open to yourself.

Hi Man Im from Leicestershire I check the local Paper and Also Check Nottingham papers as well. Will there be more In London that area??
    Yeah you'll find there's always work in london although the cost of living is obviously higher. Take a look at those websites i mentioned and have a browse.

nel wrote:
    Yeah you'll find there's always work in london although the cost of living is obviously higher. Take a look at those websites i mentioned and have a browse.

thanks and yeah will do

do you think theres much chance of me scoring an interview? With an NVQ3 in IT 5 years Experience Network Support and Three years Experience Building Computers in a shop
    with an A plus on the way. Is that enough too Win an interview or will there be high competetion when looking for thease kind of jobs?
    DoubleD wrote:

thanks and yeah will do

do you think theres much chance of me scoring an interview? With an NVQ3 in IT 5 years Experience Network Support and Three years Experience Building Computers in a shop
    with an A plus on the way. Is that enough too Win an interview or will there be high competetion when looking for thease kind of jobs?

Hi Mate,

There's always competition for any jobs regardless of which level your at. have you had a look on those sites?

Also when you say "network support" what kind of work did you do? If you dont want to say thats fine but im just trying to establish what kind of level your at. obviously you have 8 years experiance in one field or another and if thats so i would not be aiming towards a Level 1 helpdesk role, try and go for a level 2 as its more hands on role whereas L1 is mainly answering calls, logging them, chasing them up etc in most companies.

Also what qualifications do you have? if your a little thin on the qualifications start getting some certs too. If you want to work your way into a system admin role or a networking role then most start with the MCSE and CCNA. You could do A+ and network+ but there not hugely popular in the UK more so in the US. Microsoft is used everywhere pretty much so working on MS certs will always come in handy.

Take a look at this link: http://www.jobserve.com/JobListing.aspx?shid=8212841CC3ECF5E0

Thats just one search for desktop support for the UK. or if your desperate for some quick buck experiance you could always try contract work for things like desktop rollouts, helpdesk stuff etc

Although you've said you havent had much luck on the job front maybe try birmingham? If your not bothered about relocating you will have way more options open to you

Let me know.

Cheers

Andrew

nel wrote:
    DoubleD wrote:

thanks and yeah will do

Hi Mate,

There's always competition for any jobs regardless of which level your at. have you had a look on those sites?

Also when you say "network support" what kind of work did you do? If you dont want to say thats fine but im just trying to establish what kind of level your at. obviously you have 8 years experiance in one field or another and if thats so i would not be aiming towards a Level 1 helpdesk role, try and go for a level 2 as its more hands on role whereas L1 is mainly answering calls, logging them, chasing them up etc in most companies.

Also what qualifications do you have? if your a little thin on the qualifications start getting some certs too. If you want to work your way into a system admin role or a networking role then most start with the MCSE and CCNA. You could do A+ and network+ but there not hugely popular in the UK more so in the US. Microsoft is used everywhere pretty much so working on MS certs will always come in handy.

Take a look at this link: http://www.jobserve.com/JobListing.aspx?shid=8212841CC3ECF5E0

Thats just one search for desktop support for the UK. or if your desperate for some quick buck experiance you could always try contract work for things like desktop rollouts, helpdesk stuff etc

Although you've said you havent had much luck on the job front maybe try birmingham? If your not bothered about relocating you will have way more options open to you

Let me know.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi thanks for all this its good info. And NO ive not checked them sites yet been too busy but I will check them.
    As for Qualifications I have basics like what I said and Im gonna get my APlus and then Start working towards MCP and MCDT as soon as I can too boost my CV.
    My work experience is good and I often win interviews based on my CV and experience Ive done Helpdest Level one support and I suppose my latest Role would be classed as Level 2 support in a school with a large network of over 450 PCs but Im Not an expert at IT I know the basics and Im learning more all the time. I feel like im in a good position but I would love to move on to something more now after 8 years and I would love to get some Certs behind my belt! I suck at interviews as well which is a shame really!