CISSP study guide reviews by Robert Slade

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
For those of you who aren't familiar with the prolific tech book reviews of Robert Slade, have a look at his Web pages on CISSP CBK review guides and Reference books for the CISSP CBK domains when you need to choose the best CISSP study guides and CBK-related books to use. He also posts his reviews on the CISSP-Discuss@yahoogroups.com mailing list.

Robert Slade on LinkedIn.com

Comments

• mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I just purchased the ExamCram2 practice questions for cheap on amazon. After reading what he says about it I wonder if I should even waist my time with it? It irritates me how these books have so many incorrect answers and information.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    nice find JD!!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Thanks JD. I would have to disagree with his assesment of the quiz questions in the OIG. I do not think they are that great and I doubt they are very similar in style to the exam. I think the AIO is much more valuable than he lets on, and the Gold Book was printed in 2002 (maybe his review is old?)

I have read the OIG and AIO. I have the Dummies book, the Sybex book and the Gold Book, and I have looked through them.

For my learning style, Shon Harris's AIO is head and shoulders above the others. Some chapters of the OIG are pretty good (Access Control comes to mind), while others are terrible. Many people contend that this is due to the more than a dozen authors who wrote the book. I read it because it is the "official guide" with the ISC(2) stamp of approval.

For a super quick review, the Dummies book could be valuable, but no 300-400 page book (ExamCram) could possibly be a complete comprehensive guide for the CISSP.

7 weeks until the test, can't wait to be done with it.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    The more I read, the more I think this guy is a tool, but I guess it is nice to hear all points of view.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the link, good stuff as usual.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    larrydaman wrote:
    11 weeks until mine and I know how you feel. icon_shaking.gif
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    JDMurray wrote:
    larrydaman wrote:

Around 11 weeks until mine as well... JD if its the same loction I'm buying the first round after the exam. We'll both need it! :D
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    down77 wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    larrydaman wrote:

Around 11 weeks until mine as well... JD if its the same loction I'm buying the first round after the exam. We'll both need it! :D

Besure to take a week off - don't burn yourself out...then hit the material hard.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There's a new CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide book out from Cisco Press by Watkins and Wallace. The information it contains is highly relevant to the Telecommunications and Crypto domains of the CISSP and SSCP. I'm reading through a copy of it now and will write a review of it for my blog. If anyone is planning on doing both the CCNA/CCNA Security and SSCP/CISSP, I highly recommend getting this book.