Options

two NIC cards

cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to have two different IP address on one computer, to do this can I just intall two different NIC cards in one PC?

Comments

• Options
    methoselahmethoselah Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes. "Multi-homed".

Or if you want, you can just add another address to the one NIC in TCP/IP properties.
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes.

If your using a windows network though you will have to turn off Nebios on one of the nic cards (if both nics are in the same network).
  • Options
    could I put 3 nics in? what is the max?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    what is the max?
    The number of slots in your PC ;)
  • Options
    so then when you do a ping on your computer, how does the computer know what NIC or ip address you are pinging from?
  • Options
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Depends where you are pinging to, what the default gateway is, and the contents of the local routing table (run the route print command on the command line in Windows).

For example, if you have a computer with two nics, one is pointing to your cable/xDSL router (the Internet), and the other is connect to a local network with the IP range: 192.168.2.0. The routing table will contain the route for the local attached networks including the interfaces they are connected to. So if you ping to 192.168.2.115, your computer will know that it must send the packets out of the interface connected to the 192.168.2.0 (that interface could be 192.168.2.1 for example).
    Traffic other than that will be send to the default gateway address, which in this situation the computer would receive from the cable/xDSL modem/router/ISP by DHCP. (note the 0.0.0.0 route in the routing table).

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Fire StarterFire Starter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Johan, would it be possible to put up a schematic of a home lab with one PC/laptop with 2 NICs and a couple of routers ?

Also would you need to run two sessions of hyperterminal ?
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can do your routers with 1 laptop via telnet - if your routers have already configured, have all their ip address and your access ( password ). if you dont, you have to configure them by console connection ( roll cable thing ).
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Fire StarterFire Starter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Dedy, sounds pretty good, is it possible to achieve CCNA with that setup and two 803 routers, bearing in mind they have no WIC 1T slots just ethernets. Thanks
  • Options
    schneemanschneeman Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Johan, would it be possible to put up a schematic of a home lab with one PC/laptop with 2 NICs and a couple of routers ?

Also would you need to run two sessions of hyperterminal ?
    You can use telnet dedy also said that thing.But if you want to use two rollover cable on to the connect routers with console port.dont think that.Because two rollover cable never work with same time on two nic on the same computer.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    remember my friend, the first thing you have to configure to start a router is configure it via console, right?? ( console connected by your serial port on your pc with roll cable ) configure your ip add etc... i did not mean that one roll cable thing will go to routers... - you will do it one at a time just to configure your router ip(s)... because telnet will use that ip. and after your routers start succesfully you can just unplugged your roll cable and leave your router running... and you configure your routers via telnet then. telnet routerIP -
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.