Sitting this exam tomorrow morning *PASSED*

evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been trying to take this exam for months, read that as rescheduled three times over the span of a few months. Finally got some time off from work this week for both my birthday and to take the exam. Lol..yes I was studying most of my birthday! icon_lol.gif Going over some last minute cramming/practice tests.

For the last few weeks I've been primarily using the Sybex Network+ study guide 4th edition to fill in my missing knowledge base. Also have been using practice exams on this site plus glancing at the Technotes for comparison every so often. Finally got that dang OSI methodology to stick after years of it looking like a black box to me. Some of my port numbers seem to be sticking as well. :D

Started this path at first just to say that I had it, but when I started going through the initial review work it became a quest for understanding. Seeing how complex some of the facets are, all I can say is Networking rocks and the people that came up with this stuff are legendary. bowing.gif I'd say I'm not the same tech I was a few months ago, heck I'm rethinking how I've got my equipment hooked up now.

So, enough rambling I'm gonna go back to the Mike Meyers Practice questions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! Sounds like you are ready!
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    I did my N+ just two weeks ago and passed without a problem. I came across a bunch of fairly random questions, a few on Apple, Netware a bunch on OSI and a few on port numbers. A lot of them where the scenario questions, just read it think about it and you'll know the answer. I revised all my questions and I knew I had at least the 80% covered without too much trouble. I should mention I read the technotes on this site back to back and it helped spot and cover a few grey areas.

I know each test is different and the results can vary but I'm sure you'll not have any problems. If you're confident going in and know your stuff you'll be fine. I went in hoping and sort of expecting to get a pass but I also expected to get hammered on the questions.

Good luck! :D
  • evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, just got back in a little while ago. I return home victorious! icon_king.gif I scored a 720/900, around the range I was expecting to land. Took around roughly an hour to do and then about 10 minutes to question my weaker answers.

I got a general spread of topics, although Unix/Linux stuff kept seeming to appear, as well as Subnetting, connecting to/accessing a Mac server and features of a switch icon_confused.gif:

One major question I'm left with, what heck is IGP & EGP? icon_scratch.gif Did a quick google search because the terminology wasn't present in the Sybex book, mentions something along the line of gateways. Anyone familiar with the term?

I'm glad this over with for the time being, this may be my last tech cert for a while. May try to complete my paths for MCITP and/or MCSA. Planning to change focuses and potentially go back to school and focus on Game Development(Software Engineering).

Anyway I think it's time to celebrate both my birthday and a new cert. drunken_smilie.gif woot!
    Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
    Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
    Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security
  • dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Congrats. I am taking the test 2morrow in the morning.........
    close to MCSA!!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    evoxdc wrote:
    Yep, just got back in a little while ago. I return home victorious! icon_king.gif I scored a 720/900, around the range I was expecting to land. Took around roughly an hour to do and then about 10 minutes to question my weaker answers.

I got a general spread of topics, although Unix/Linux stuff kept seeming to appear, as well as Subnetting, connecting to/accessing a Mac server and features of a switch icon_confused.gif:

One major question I'm left with, what heck is IGP & EGP? icon_scratch.gif Did a quick google search because the terminology wasn't present in the Sybex book, mentions something along the line of gateways. Anyone familiar with the term?

I'm glad this over with for the time being, this may be my last tech cert for a while. May try to complete my paths for MCITP and/or MCSA. Planning to change focuses and potentially go back to school and focus on Game Development(Software Engineering).

Anyway I think it's time to celebrate both my birthday and a new cert. drunken_smilie.gif woot!

Howdy! I believe IGP and EGP means Interior Gateway Protocol and Exterior Gateway Protocol. This stuff is probably covered more in depth in CCNA stuff. It was in a routing book I skimmed through... but I'll know more soon because CCNA is coming up for me after Net+
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    I appreciate all those who wished me well on this, always been a lurker and I tried to absorb as much knowledge as I could especially from those who have failed before I ever had an inkling. Their hard effort inspired me to take this seriously and want it all the more. ^^;
    Congrats. I am taking the test 2morrow in the morning.........

Thanks. Good luck, if yours was like mine it shouldn't be too difficult, remember to read the question all the way through. I almost screwed up a wi-fi question because I almost clicked befoe noticing what frequency they were talking about.
    TravR1 wrote:
    Howdy! I believe IGP and EGP means Interior Gateway Protocol and Exterior Gateway Protocol. This stuff is probably covered more in depth in CCNA stuff. It was in a routing book I skimmed through... but I'll know more soon because CCNA is coming up for me after Net+

Thanks for that curiosity was starting to eat me up about that one.
    rfult001 wrote:

Thanks for replying, I'll take a look at those when I get home later.