Options

Why is CompTIA so expensive?

steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

New-ish here, but have taken MCP exams previously and with Prometric they are around £88 GPB.

I have just booked my CompTIA exam for Network+ and have just fallen off my chair! They are £160 GBP!!!!

How can they justify this for being an entry level exam? (I think - well compared to the others out there)

If I fail this, there is no way I can afford to retake it due to other commitments etc... So to take 1 exam, say second time around it will cost me over £300!

Is it really worth it?

I could take 2 x Microsoft exams for that...

Steve
A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    They definitely are a little pricier however many companies really hold the A+ and Net+ with high regard and almost always want them for hiring entry level workers, the cost won't matter if it lands you a good job icon_cool.gif
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    They definitely are a little pricier however many companies really hold the A+ and Net+ with high regard and almost always want them for hiring entry level workers, the cost won't matter if it lands you a good job icon_cool.gif

BTW, don't want to offend anyone, I am just shocked by the cost of it, compared to Microsoft ones... Most employers I have dealt with don't really know of CompTIA, which is a shame as I have A+ along side my MS ones...

Well booked it for a week on Saturday 6th Sept...

Here's hoping! Will just have to get my head down and power through it...

I am going to use TestOut Network+, CBT Nuggests Network+ and also Sybex Network+ (if I get time!!!)

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did someone else pay for your A+? How did you not know CompTIA exams were expensive?
    steve77uk wrote:
    I am going to use TestOut Network+, CBT Nuggests Network+ and also Sybex Network+ (if I get time!!!)

Sounds like you might want to reschedule and/or make time since you're that worried about losing that much money on a fail.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The MCSE is 875 dollars. Much less than the A+/Net+.

EDIT: I forgot the 5 on the 125 dollar exam cost. So it's 875 dollars.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    £217.38 for Security+ was a shock for me.

In my experience no one knows what the CompTIA exams cover, that was part of my reasoning for taking the exam. I myself had undervalued what was covered until I got stuck in.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Mishra wrote:
    The MCSE is 840 dollars. Much less than the A+/Net+.

Assuming you pass every exam on the first try :)

Oh, and don't forget to add in, study materials, resources ect...
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Be confident. If you pass 291. I think you wont have any problem on Network+. I am taking the test next Friday.. I will hammer it :):)
    close to MCSA!!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA exams are well known in the US. Mostly A+, Network+, and Security+. With Server+ have a niche and Linux+ looking good for some HR and IT Managers looking to Hire Windows Admins with some basic Linux skills. I have heard CompTIA certs do not hold as much weight in the UK except perhaps the A+ is catching on a little (is it?) So I would say if in your neck of the woods if CompTIA certs won't help much then focus on Cisco and Microsoft.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    CompTIA exams are well known in the US. Mostly A+, Network+, and Security+. With Server+ have a niche and Linux+ looking good for some HR and IT Managers looking to Hire Windows Admins with some basic Linux skills. I have heard CompTIA certs do not hold as much weight in the UK except perhaps the A+ is catching on a little (is it?) So I would say if in your neck of the woods if CompTIA certs won't help much then focus on Cisco and Microsoft.

Well said. Coming from someone who lives in the UK and has a+ and N+ - stick with the MS and cisco certs. Ive found both of them arent regarded highly at all - comptia that is. I would much rather have mcse even at the extra cost.

By this i dont mean they are worthless they just arent highly regarded. So put your cash towards certs which will help you.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    sthomas wrote:

If you get Server+, wouldn't it be safe to say you don't need A+? Isn't Server+ basically a monster A+ test? That's what I was assuming and was going to skip A+ and get Server+ and save some money... I know A+ inside and out already.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    £160 is a bit much for the Network+! I just sat it over here in Florida (I'm originally from Ireland) and it cost a total of $200 for the exam! In a perfect world, if you where over for a holiday, could sit the test and had an address you could use you could just do it in the US for almost half the money!!

I do agree with what others said about CompTIA in the UK, I'd not even heard of CompTIA or the A+ before I came over here. Back home my handful of NVQ's and experience was enough to get me into or keep me in the trenches. 3 years after arriving in the US (1 year of which unemployed waiting for the OK to work..) I've taken the A+ and N+ just to get me back to "certified" status with employers over here. I mean A+ seems to be the unofficial minimum standard to get in the door over here but back home like I said no one really knew about it. Experience some NVQ's a couple of good references did the job, at least for small/medium sized companies.

Good luck with your N+, I'm sure you'll pass.. just memorize the OSI model and if you can or have the chance check out Mike Myers Complete Network+ Certification - 3rd Edition. I don't know if they'd stock it at your library (order it in?) or if you can find a copy out there somewhere used maybe?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be confident. If you pass 291. I think you wont have any problem on Network+. I am taking the test next Friday.. I will hammer it :):)

No offense, but that's really not a good way to think about it. 291 is more difficult, no doubt about it. However, they are completely different in terms of content. Knowing how to subnet and understanding VPNs, routing protocols, etc. isn't going to help you if you get some obscure appletalk question or a question regarding cable lengths, etc. Easy exams can be difficult if you don't prepare for them properly.
    TravR1 wrote:
    If you get Server+, wouldn't it be safe to say you don't need A+? Isn't Server+ basically a monster A+ test? That's what I was assuming and was going to skip A+ and get Server+ and save some money... I know A+ inside and out already.

Server+ builds on A+. They're not going to cover all the basics. If you have a good handle on the A+ material, that's a different story. I wouldn't recommend that novices start there though. Plus, the A+ is much more recognized. The Server+ seems to be much more specialized and is often required by large vendors internally, and things like that. I don't think you're going to impress too many interviewers with a Server+. Few will probably even know what it is.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    comptia is very expensive, but the price you got of £160 was better than the £196 that i was charged for the same exam, about a year ago
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    stupidboy wrote:

it was a shock for me as well, thank heavens I passed first time is all I have to say icon_confused.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote:
    stupidboy wrote:

it was a shock for me as well, thank heavens I passed first time is all I have to say icon_confused.gif

Thats why i dont think i will take the Security+ due to the high cost. If i were to do any security exams i would prob lean towards MS or cisco certs because of this and they are more appropriate for me and where i live and what i want to do.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nel wrote:
    bertieb wrote:
    stupidboy wrote:

Thats why i dont think i will take the Security+ due to the high cost. If i were to do any security exams i would prob lean towards MS or cisco certs because of this and they are more appropriate for me and where i live and what i want to do.

Well for this one I got work to pay for it though I would have had to pay it back if I left within 12 months. Thankfully that period over now and I'm paying for all the other exams myself. It's a heck of a lot of money really, and as everyone says CompTIA isn't regarded as highly in the UK. I doubt I would have done this one if I had to cough up the beans myself - MS/Cisco certs are regarded much more highly over here.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply chaps...

The reason why I am doing it in less than 2 weeks time is to try and fit it into a window as the rest of September is booked up for me with other commitments etc.. I just want to blast this one, get it out of the way and progress to 291.

It is done now, paid up.. Just hope I will pass first time, a lot of the stuff in there I already knew, but OSI and Subnetting is where I struggle (somewhat). If I don't feel I am ready by next Thursday, I will re-schedule it, but want to get it done asap.

I did the A+ just after it changed to 2 x exams, yes, I did think it was expensive back then, but this is more for one exam! Crikey.. it all costs just to have that extra line on your CV - the thing is, it is for personal benefit really, I won't be getting a rise or anything for it. I just thought it may help moving on to complete the MCSE!

Steve

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TravR1 wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

In theory if you had the Server+ you would not need the A+. The reality is CompTIA markets their A+ well and it has been around for a long time so most employers know what it is. If you do a search on dice.com for Server+ you will get 20-25 job postings. If you search for A+ you will get 700+ usually. Also, the A+/Server+ combo counts toward the MCSA. You could also do Security+ and that will count toward MCSA and MCSE.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll agree with that.However you should look for vouchers you may save a few dollars.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.