How much for this work?

TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
Doing a little work on the side and would like some input for a new client I'm bidding some work on.

This is in Atlanta. Here is the work they need done.

"The server will be provided to you. We already have Server 2003 purchased .

We dont have the time to install the software ; would like a price quote for the following

1. Install Windows 2003 Sever R2
3. Cute FTP Client
5. Adobe Reader 9 Professional
7. Norton Anti Virus 11 Corporate Edition
9. NTI Backup Software
11. Office Professional 2003

How long for the entire package , you can come get the server and deliver it after completion.

Server Specs

Dell

2- 72 GB Drives

4- 138 GB Drive

8 GB Memory

Dual Core Processor

Would like to know what some of you would bid this at? I want to get the work but don't want to short change myself either. I'm thinking probably somewhere in the range of $300 to $400. Am I way off?

Comments

• MrNobodyMrNobody Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jesus... You mean you actually GET paid to do that? I think I've been ripped off, I've been paying schools so that they would allow me to do that. Dammit.
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Well then have I got a deal for you! They can pay me to get the work done and you can pay me for allowing you the privilege of doing the work. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. icon_lol.gif
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    offer to do it free, or create a "click next script" and sell it to them lol
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    AlanJames wrote:
    offer to do it free, or create a "click next script" and sell it to them lol

I always stick with an hourly rate and a bench rate.

something like:

$70 per hr hands on
    $25 per hr - bench time

bench time you charge 25.00 an hour as it formats a hard disk or downloads updates etc...
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use a dart board to pick prices :P

Honestly it is usually what ever I feel like at the moment as long as it is reasonable.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Completely off-topic but what is the point of
    Adobe Reader 9 Professional
    Office Professional 2003
    on a server?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Grynder wrote:
    Completely off-topic but what is the point of
    Adobe Reader 9 Professional
    Office Professional 2003
    on a server?
    Adobe Reader is pretty common, its usually on most of my clients base images/installs. The Pro version doesn't really have a place.

Microsoft Office again is fairly common, especially in smaller environments to be a part of the base image. Personally I don't think it belongs. :)
    It's not uncommon for a small business to put Office on their server. Not something I would recommend but if that's what they want I'm more than happy to do it for them.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    What are they using the Server for?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would charge them an hourly fee. That price would depend on a lot of factors. The amount of experience you have, where you live, the cost of living in your area, what others charge in your area, how badly you want the work, etc.....
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I know it would depend. That is why I mentioned I was in Atlanta and asked what others on the forum would charge for it. I used to work for a consultant that billed my hours at anywhere from $120 to $150 per hour and his own hours were billed at $200. On the other hand I see guys all the time on craigslist offering to fix any problem onsite for $50 no matter how long it takes.

I sent them my quote on it. Doesn't look like I'm going to get the work but thats alright. I do good work and have references from other clients so I'm not going to compete with the guy who says he will come out and do everything for $50.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I usually charge 60 bucks an hour no matter what for the first hour, and a dollar per minute after. Your spare is valuable, you've worked hard to learn and gain the skills needed to do the side work, so why not get compensated for it.

Let us know if you get the project...sounds like fun actually.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • nato76nato76 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow you guys are cheap. I charge $75-$100/hour regardless.
  • waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    Technowiz wrote:
    Well then have I got a deal for you! They can pay me to get the work done and you can pay me for allowing you the privilege of doing the work. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. icon_lol.gif

HAHAHA, funniest comment ever!
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    waltdee wrote:
    Technowiz wrote:

HAHAHA, funniest comment ever!

+1