Multicast material

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

Im studying the multicast material in several of the Cisco press books. I have read the self-study guide on this material like 10 times and the same for the exam certification guide. What I dont understand is alot of the material they discuss and use in the lab portfolio.. Like how the transition from a shared tree to a source tree occurs. It just seems like im missing out on some material.

I know that its an intro chapter into multicasting, but you would think the lab portfolio would take into account only things thats in the study guide.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

I have also used:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/IP-Multi.html

But still without the feeling that i have the full picture.

Any suggestions ideas?
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    when it gets the s,g entry it switches to source tree. Remember on sparse mode there is a path from server to RP and a path from RP to a client. The path from server to RP will have a s,g entry and the path from RP to client will have a *,g at first then will get a s,g and switch to source tree. There are also thresholds for when it switches or not to ever switch to a source tree. HTH
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    this is the section I bombed on my first attempt at the bsci exam, the TCP/IP Routing Volume II book has really helped clarify these concepts and I would suggest you check it out
    WIP: IPS exam
  • kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    this is the section I bombed on my first attempt at the bsci exam, the TCP/IP Routing Volume II book has really helped clarify these concepts and I would suggest you check it out

Ick.. more costs. Maybe I will, just a little disappointed if the self-study + cert guide doesnt cover it in the detail you would need...

Forgot to mention i also read the Quick Reference sheets.. still no dice :)

maybe im stressing :)
    a good option (if you are okay with reading off the computer) and one that I use is getting a Safari subscription, I pay around $20 a month and can have 5 books checked out at a time
    not to mention theres always cisco documentation at the great price of free :D:D

just make sure you really know the multicast routing table inside and out
    a good option (if you are okay with reading off the computer) and one that I use is getting a Safari subscription, I pay around $20 a month and can have 5 books checked out at a time

Can you print anything out at all?
    i've had no problem with this, I actually printed out the multicast sections from TCP/IP Vol II as well as the CCIE Written Guide to read at home
    i've had no problem with this, I actually printed out the multicast sections from TCP/IP Vol II as well as the CCIE Written Guide to read at home

Cool. Thanks alot.

And i understand how to read the multicast routing table, i just think theres alot of stuff left out in the self-study guide and the exam cert guide.
    kpjungle wrote:

Cool. Thanks alot.

And i understand how to read the multicast routing table, i just think theres alot of stuff left out in the self-study guide and the exam cert guide.
    without a doubt! thats the problem I ran into myself. That exam is really tough and i've found out going above and beyond on multicast and ipv6 is what I should have done the first time around (thank goodness for the second shot :D )
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe if you tackle one part at a time you'll finish it. Don't rush. That's what I did.
    CCNP takes more time than CCNA, remember that. icon_wink.gif
  • datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Plazma wrote:
    Wow, these are good, and wow...netcraftsmen are right up the road from me. nice....!!!!

cheers!!!
    Arrakis
  • roswaldroswald Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is multicast covered on the BCMSN at all? Or strictly a BSCI topic?

It's not listed as one of the exam topics, but it's covered in the self-study guide. It doesn't mention anything about the multicast chapter being "out of scope" of the BCMSN in the book, so I've skimmed it and understand the concepts ... just don't wanna be slammed with something I haven't studied in depth when I take the test.

This post made me look at the depth of multicast and made me wonder.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Multicast was covered in the old BCMSN exam. Make sure your book is up to date.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.