What certifications are you guys working on right now ?

EpistleEpistle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I'm new, so my question, what are you guys aiming for next ? I'm currently studying for SANS's GIAC, it's a tough one, for more info, go here http://www.giac.org/overview.php, in my opinion, this is the only cert out there that can prove your skilz, CISSP is basically just a conceptual piece of nonsense that anyone can obtain by getting the whole guidebook in your head :P

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm currently on the cisco track ccna and ccnp. router configs are nothing i'm just struggle with the subnetting. so if anyone has a easy guide to subnetting let me know.

after that i'm still interested in avaya and wireless certs.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • matlmatl Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for the my first Microsoft exam. I'd like to get my MCSA within the next 6 months.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keenon I was struggling with subnetting too until I found this site which I found extremely helpful to teach you subnetting. You might just have to go over the material a few times before it starts to sink in. It has help me out a whole lot. Here's the site:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/softwretrn/netplus/ipsubnet.htm

After the material started to sink in I put what I was learning to use doing some practice problems here:

http://www.learntosubnet.com/Subnetting_Problems.htm

The answers are also posted there so you can check yourself.
    Good Luck!!! Hope this helps you out a whole lot like it did me. icon_lol.gif
    keenon wrote:
    i'm currently on the cisco track ccna and ccnp. router configs are nothing i'm just struggle with the subnetting. so if anyone has a easy guide to subnetting let me know.

after that i'm still interested in avaya and wireless certs.

I'm currently on the Cisco track. Going for my CCNA soon the, CCNP, and maybe one day I'll be a CCIE. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    thanks viper for the info i'm bookmarking it for later on today to review over for the next few days.
  • wylie24wylie24 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished my MCSA and Security+ courseware. I am going to be starting my MCSE:security (2003) in the next month or so. Just taking a break in my learning. The mush pot needs a break..........
    Helpful Hint
    > When your brain leaks out of your ears, you need to stop reading and play a game!!!!!!!!!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working on the CCEA. I have to finish it by Dec 31.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    MCSE 2003, but I may break away for N+ or CCNA before I complete it.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Epistle wrote:
    Hi I'm new, so my question, what are you guys aiming for next ? I'm currently studying for SANS's GIAC, it's a tough one, for more info, go here http://www.giac.org/overview.php, in my opinion, this is the only cert out there that can prove your skilz, CISSP is basically just a conceptual piece of nonsense that anyone can obtain by getting the whole guidebook in your head :P

Let me start off by saying "Welcome to the board"

I am working on my ISSEP, CCIE R/S & Security Labs..

If your going to be in the security field, why wouldn't you get the CISSP? There are a lot of places that request it. If it is so easy, you should be able to knock it out in about a week or so....Especially since you already have a hard cert like the CCIE Voice. By the way which GIAC exam do you plan on taking....It's not a hard one like you said...Its a hard 13 certs with written papers and tests....Good luck on which ever one you pick. If you pass any of them, it does show that you know your stuff.

One last thing....If those are the only exams that can prove your "skilz"...Then what was your CCIE Voice lab? That is one of the harder CCIE Labs. I know Triple CCIEs that took that lab several times. Any of the labs show you know your stuff. Maybe you should check out the CCIE Security track.....I am just curious..what is your CCIE # ?
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm falling towards MCSA and MCDST, then I'm looking towards Cisco stuff eventually.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • EpistleEpistle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Let me start off by saying "Welcome to the board"

Ten9t6 said:

I am working on my ISSEP, CCIE R/S & Security Labs..

If your going to be in the security field, why wouldn't you get the CISSP? There are a lot of places that request it. If it is so easy, you should be able to knock it out in about a week or so....Especially since you already have a hard cert like the CCIE Voice. By the way which GIAC exam do you plan on taking....It's not a hard one like you said...Its a hard 13 certs with written papers and tests....Good luck on which ever one you pick. If you pass any of them, it does show that you know your stuff.

One last thing....If those are the only exams that can prove your "skilz"...Then what was your CCIE Voice lab? That is one of the harder CCIE Labs. I know Triple CCIEs that took that lab several times. Any of the labs show you know your stuff. Maybe you should check out the CCIE Security track.....I am just curious..what is your CCIE # ?

My CCIE number is 10931, my reason for not pursuing a CISSP is because I find it useless, useless as in the fact that it doesn't deal with any technical stuff, it's just concepts and concepts and they even had a section about fire security, planning fire exits and things like that, I was like, "what the hell ?"
    The sad truth is, one can have a CISSP and freeze when they face a real hacking breach.
  • HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    was working on MCSA/MCSE 2000 2003 but have been side tracked to security+, Server+,Linux+, CIW-Security, and CEH because of my new Job Title. I hope I get approved for the CEH I only have a year and a half of security experience.
  • nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sitting for Security+ on Friday, then on to MCSA 2000 and MCSE: Security 2003.

I'll probably take a couple weeks break before starting MCSA studying. Need some time to relax as well as get another PC for practice.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm currently preparing for the CWSP exam, after that either SSCP or CEH. I'm probably going to kock-out the CCSA somewhere in between.

Later, when I grow up, I want to be a CISSP :P

Yeah welcome on board Epistle. Always nice to see an individual with credentials like yours joining a discussion. Sorry to see you dissing the CISSP certification though.
    my reason for not pursuing a CISSP is because I find it useless, useless as in the fact that it doesn't deal with any technical stuff, it's just concepts and concepts and they even had a section about fire security, planning fire exits and things like that, I was like, "what the love ?"
    What do you mean 'they even had a section', is they a book or the exam? ;) The things you mention are part of 'physical security' and availability... (one of those conceptual terms). Without the concepts there would not be any practice. CISSP is far from useless considering the high demand and payment.
    The sad truth is, one can have a CISSP and freeze when they face a real hacking breach.
    I think that applies to any certification out there, perhaps the CCIEs being an exception. CISSP is often referred to as a management certification.

The CISSP Passport book desribes it very well:
    "It is commonly referred to as a mile wide and an inch deep...."
    It is about knowing what you do (or tell someone else to do) not how to do it.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    It is very true that someone can cram and pass any test that does not have a hands on portion. (I even know of one person w/ 0 experience cram and practice for 6 months....and passed the R/S Lab) The sad part about freezing in the face of a true hack attack can be said about any cert. But hopefully you have set up your defense in layers, that way you do not have to react and run around w/ your hair on fire....It is much better to set it properly and be proactive. I have met people w/ Sans certs, CCIEs, and CISSPs that would freeze in a fast paced environment where you had to be reactive all the time. But, I have also met people with no certs that I would throw in the middle of any situation that I could think of. There is no cert that is the end all in every situation....and every cert has its place. What ever you chose to take, good luck to you. But, I would be careful which certs you talk smack about..you might find yourself reporting to a CISSP manager some day. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • TheCiscoKidTheCiscoKid Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have my Networks+ and just today signed up for my A+ (core) which I am sitting for this Monday at 12:30pm. I also have Cisco 1&2 under my belt and I am already signed up for Cisco 3&4 this fall. My plan is to complete the A+ early in September and take the CCNA in Dec when I graduate with an AD in Computer Network Engineering. In the mean time I am looking for some work to gain some experience help desk, PC tech...etc.
  • lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Network+ and CWNA
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    working on the Windows XP first, then the rest of the 2000 mcse.

Not sure after that. Depends on if I can land a halfway decent job with a few years of exp and a pile of certs. If not, I'm gonna go dig ditches :)
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Working on A+ OS part and Windows Xp as well. Can't wait to get this OS over with! icon_lol.gif
  • EluderEluder Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Working on my MCSE 2003, then might squeeze in the CCNA before I go back full time to do my MBA in IT or M.Eng in Computer Networks...
    Wish I could just stay in school, so much more interesting than work, it's just so freakin' expensive!
  • dswillieusdswillieus Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif Welcome to the Forums!

Finishing up my CCNP soon, then on to CCIE R/S, CISSP, or CCSP haven't decided which security certification to go for yet.
  • Chrisw83Chrisw83 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first post, YAY! I am getting ready to take network+ then study for
    HTI+ and either CCNA or Security+. Anyone taken the HTI+? lol. i notice its not very popular, and really expensive. 2tests @ $179ea.
    Working towards MCDST and HTI+
  • Mr. VaraldoMr. Varaldo Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am also new here. I started a CCNA course today (40 hours divided in seven weeks - 6 hours for seven Saturdays). I really liked it - the first class was... boom, a lot of subnetting and hands-on experience configuring 2500 series routers.

The hands-on experience for me is invaluable - as I don't have any router and switch setup at home, like many people recommended I do... I was thinking to buy a set on eBay, though, seen that a couple of 2500series routers can be had for $400 or so... what do you guys think - do I need the "real thing" or can I get by with the time in class and the simulator on CD?

Thanks! :P
  • TheCiscoKidTheCiscoKid Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had a lot of lab time but what I found was that RouterSim was invaluable. I have more time on the Cisco OS then anyone in my class. I did labs out of the book that we couldn't do in class.Such as a set up with five 2500 and one 2600 router and seven switches. We could not do this in class becuase there were not enough routers and switches. I did this at home on the sim and then stated with VLANs and trunk port stufff, they don't even start this untill Cisco 3&4 which I have yet to take. I think the RouterSim and lab time combined is better then just one or the other. I am also a member at Cisco netacad.net wich gives you acces to all the CNNA stuff.
    Good Luck
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Im currently taking classes for my Network+.

I am already signed up for CCIE track in routing and switching, Security+, and CCSP.

I should have everything completed within 1 year.
  • swtlrichswtlrich Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MCSA 2k,2003
    CCNA

Then probably Checkpoint certification.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Fu Loser wrote:

I am already signed up for CCIE track in routing and switching, Security+, and CCSP.

If you can get all that, within one year, all the power to you!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Fu Loser wrote:

If you can get all that, within one year, all the power to you!
    lol
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're taking N+ courses huh...and within a year you plan to be a CCIE, Security+, and CCSP??? icon_scratch.gif Are you even a CCNA??? Because if you are I don't understand why you need to take N+ courses. icon_scratch.gif

If you can get this all done within a year then I bowing.gifbowing.gif to you.
    Fu Loser wrote:

CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    ccie in one year? only if you worked at cisco and all they did was teach you 40 hours a week for a year other wise i can't see it.. most ccies i have met i know 6 of them all have said the same thing when i asked how long? most said it took them about 3 to 5 years. most didn't pass the test the first or second time.

how many years of experience do you have to make such a statement?