How much free time do you all have at work?

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Just curious how much free time you all get at work? Currently i'm a jr. network admin and some days it's pack full of work but other days i get like 6-7 hours of free time =/

Also what do you all do in the spare time?

Comments

• jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    It depends on the amount of work that comes in for the day.

When I have down time, I'm on here or studying.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No free time here. I am doing work for too many customers at the moment. I am in work at 8:00 and finishing at 6 every day without a proper lunch break. If I have free time in the near future I will study during it.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote:
    Also what do you all do in the spare time?

TIMESHEETS!!! :D (inside joke, sorta)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It fluctuates, like you. I study, spend time here, lab something in VMs, etc. Something related. No random surfing on the internet.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Plenty of time to study... :D
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    larrydaman wrote:
    Plenty of time to study... :D

I study for a little while but my mind drifts a lot lol.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    dynamik wrote:
    It fluctuates, like you. I study, spend time here, lab something in VMs, etc. Something related. No random surfing on the internet.

Same here... Does TE count as random surfing? Otherwise I might be in trouble icon_lol.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A lot lately... icon_sad.gif

Study/Clean up our office or Server room/come on TE.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:

Same here... Does TE count as random surfing? Otherwise I might be in trouble icon_lol.gif

Nope. It reinforces the material ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Virtually zero. I do take about a 10-15 minute break at some point during the day usually, and a couple minutes while I'm waiting on something to complete to checkout TE.net
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Usually no free time at work, although I am at work right now browsing TE forums :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    In a 12hr shift I usually do about 10-60mins of actual work. The problem is that it is so spread out its hard to really get into something else (movie, study etc).

On night shift though, I have gone a full 12hr shift with 100% free time. Those are good :D
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No free time at all at work quite frankly. It's all deadlines, deadlines.. To be honest in eleven years it's always been like that for me. Never any slacktime to speak of. People always needed me working on something or other. Im amazed when folks say they have hours free in the office to do anything other than work. Then again the shops I worked in were very hands on. These days Im cranking out network designs at a rate of knots. As soon as one is done another one comes on my workstack urgent for the client. Still best to be busy I suppose. Some study time would be good but that's not what they pay me for.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Id prefer to be busy all the time but it doesn't work out that way icon_sad.gif
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    ALOT.. but the school semester hasnt started yet.. once it starts.. BAM but even then there are dry hours.. I work at night anyways..
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No free time at work. Though I get off work at 2PM, so when I get home it's generally 3PM and I can do whatever I want until I go to bed at 8-9PM. I'm usually too tired to go anywhere though.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NO free time. I'm busy busy busy. They love to work IT guys and I'm one of them........

so....

yeah....

What cha all doing? I'm just hanging out... 23/m/KY here. Wanna chat?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    NO free time. I'm busy busy busy. They love to work IT guys and I'm one of them........

so....

yeah....

What cha all doing? I'm just hanging out... 23/m/KY here. Wanna chat?

icon_lol.gif
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    depending on the day and demands. my job is a mixture of interacting with customers and technical stuff. The more the accounts that have a lot of customer activity the busier i am. starting next week we will be migrating a customers network so so it will be busy...pretty,pretty,pretty busy
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    IMO you shouldn't really expect much in the way of 'free time' at work. From what I can see, the difference between the folks on here and a lot of people who work in IT is that we'll use our time much more wisely, be it reading, studying, research, writing scripts to help make routine tasks easier, performance tuning etc etc. There is always something to be done ;)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Free time = 0

Working VoIP even when there are no network issues there is always a reported QoS issue to investigate (most of the time its so intermittent its hard to track down but you have to at least try).

I have to sneak away every couple hours to clear my head (and post here of course).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Usually not much, especially today as we prepare for Gustav here on the LA coast. I've just about got everything I need to set up a mobile communications center for my office in the event that internet goes down but power is up.
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    loxleynew wrote:
    Id prefer to be busy all the time but it doesn't work out that way icon_sad.gif

I thought I was the only one who kinda felt this way. I'd prefer to work a short busy shift, than a long dull one.