Options

Which Route to MCSA?

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times already but I wouldn't mind a wee bit of guidance on this.

I want to aim for the MCSA then maybe in time the MCSE.. who knows at this point. I'm thinking which module or modules should I be aiming for. I've looked at the MS site but it's confused me more than helped plan which cert I should aim for next?

I've my A+, N+ about 2 years worth of training from back home (NVQ's) and I've 5 years experience administering a very small workgroup which included 802.11 devices.

Anyway I want to work my way up to MSCA with on the job experience (if I can find a tech job here) and certifications as I move on. For now I'd like to have MCP on my resume but which module do you people think would be best and would count towards the MCSA if I've my A+/N+ already done?

Thanks, :D

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would personally take the 620 and then 290 and 291. Then you have your MCSA. The 620 counts towards other certifications so that would be your best choice.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:
    I would personally take the 620 and then 290 and 291. Then you have your MCSA. The 620 counts towards other certifications so that would be your best choice.

+1

You get to use your A+/Net+ combo as the elective credit.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    Thank you both for your responses! I knew the A+ N+ covered an elective but not 100% which one. I have read that once I'm an MCP I can publish my A+ and N+ to MS and have them knock it off. I just wanted to know where to start as an MCP and it looks like you've answered my question. Looks like it's time to dust off that copy of Vista and get it on the VM for another round of kill my VM and reload the image icon_lol.gif

Any recommended reading on the 620, 290 and 291.

Thanks again!!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take the 270, which is a core exam for the MCSA, then 290 and 291. Your A+ and N+ together will count towards the elective you need. Go to CompTIA's site and have them transfer the scores to Microsoft. Passing the 270 will get you your MCP. You could also take the 299 and add Security to the MCSA, its an easy course.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the 620 will work as part of the MCSA core track. If you take the 620 next, that would also get you the MCP as well at MCTS credentials.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Psoasman wrote:
    I would take the 270, which is a core exam for the MCSA, then 290 and 291. Your A+ and N+ together will count towards the elective you need. Go to CompTIA's site and have them transfer the scores to Microsoft. Passing the 270 will get you your MCP. You could also take the 299 and add Security to the MCSA, its an easy course.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the 620 will work as part of the MCSA core track. If you take the 620 next, that would also get you the MCP as well at MCTS credentials.
    It will satisfy the MCSA core client exam requirement, but it will not give you the MCP cert. You will get the MCTS and once passing 290 later you will add the MCP as well on your way to the MCSA.
  • Options
    Now it all appears to be confusing! I mean how many different ways are there to get to the MCSA? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    aidan80 wrote:
    Now it all appears to be confusing! I mean how many different ways are there to get to the MCSA? icon_lol.gif

The best source for information here would be from Microsoft. Here is a link to the MCSA 2003 requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Breakdown as follows:

Required core exams on Networking Systems (2 required)
    1. 70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    2. 70-291 Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

Choice of Exam for requirement on client operating system (1 Required)
    Option 1. 70-620 TS: Windows Vista, Configuring
    Option 2. 70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional
    Option 3. 70-210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Retired exam, no longer available)

Choice of Elective exam (1* Required).
    Since there are approximately 30 choices for the elective, I will not list them here

In the end you can finish your MCSA in as little as 4 exams, or as many as 5. You are required to take 290 / 291, a Client OS (I took 270 at the time since 620 was not available), and an elective (CompTIA elective satisfaction can be 1 or 2 exams depending on option). If you work with Windows XP professional at your job take 270, if you work with Vista or want credit towards the 2008 MCITP track take the 620. As far as the electives go thats really the only "major" decision that you have to make.

I hope this helps to clear some of the confusion
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    EMoMoneyEMoMoney Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not necessarily recommending the route, but this is the route I am taking and why. I decided to get the MCDST which can be used as an elective substitute. I then took the 70-621 upgrade path for the MCDST, which can be used as the 70-620. Now I just need 2 more exams for the MCSA. This route is 5 exams instead of just doing 4 or even 3 for the OP since he already has the A+/N+, but my thinking is I have a well rounded set of certificates ranging from Desktop Support, Enterprise Support, and Systems Administration. Also, this may be important to some employer, and to some it may not, but after I complete my final 2 exams, I will have MCDST, MCITP, MCTS and MCSA.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    EMoMoney wrote:
    I'm not necessarily recommending the route, but this is the route I am taking and why. I decided to get the MCDST which can be used as an elective substitute. I then took the 70-621 upgrade path for the MCDST, which can be used as the 70-620. Now I just need 2 more exams for the MCSA. This route is 5 exams instead of just doing 4 or even 3 for the OP since he already has the A+/N+, but my thinking is I have a well rounded set of certificates ranging from Desktop Support, Enterprise Support, and Systems Administration. Also, this may be important to some employer, and to some it may not, but after I complete my final 2 exams, I will have MCDST, MCITP, MCTS and MCSA.

agree, for those who may not want to go all the way to MCSE that option is just fine.

I did my MCDST to show that I can do desktop support as well as server stuff as my job covers both areas of work.
  • Options
    Ok, I got it now.. thanks for the link to the MCSA page. I know exactly which route I'm taking, for now I'm going to the MCSA route then in time with more on the job experience I'll go for the MSCE, I really don't want to be a paper only MCSE.

I think I'll be going the standard route to the MCSA per the MS webpage. Is there any recommended reading? I thinking I'll knock off the XP exam first as I don't expect do have any problems in that area.

Thanks again!! :D
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    aidan80 wrote:
    Ok, I got it now.. thanks for the link to the MCSA page. I know exactly which route I'm taking, for now I'm going to the MCSA route then in time with more on the job experience I'll go for the MSCE, I really don't want to be a paper only MCSE.

I think I'll be going the standard route to the MCSA per the MS webpage. Is there any recommended reading? I thinking I'll knock off the XP exam first as I don't expect do have any problems in that area.

Thanks again!! :D

Microsoft recommends the MS Press books (they sell a 4 exam set for MCSE). I used the Sybex 70-270 (Windows XP) and the rest MS Press and really didn't have a problem, mostly because I had been working with the technology for years. Everyone has a different style of learning so I would suggest going to one of your local bookstores and checking out the different certification books they have to offer and see which one you like best. Most importantly make sure to get hands on experience with the technology. Just about everyone here on the forums are more than willing to help answer any questions you may have as you start studying for your exams.

Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11