CISCO Career HELP NEEDED...I need some feedback...Please

I have been in the computer field for about 5 years. I want to look at options with CISCO. I have only 1 week experience with CISCO. What all do I have to do to get a CISCO job (besides obtaining a CCNA & CCNP)?

Are they any specific labs or on the job experience anyone can help me with?
Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    start trying to hang out the the dept that does cisco or networking. start studying cisco
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    your gonna have to bleed over.
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco is a tricky one to get into. There really isnt any entry level cisco jobs out there for you, like there would be for microsoft.

IMO your best bet is to get into a small company that needs a network person who deals mainly with the servers and the microsoft aspect. Since it is a small company hopefully you can get your boss to purchase a cisco router, firewall, switch, etc where you can set it up and get experience with it. While working you should definately pursue your CCNA - dont worry about a CCNP right now.

Your best bet to getting a cisco job is having cisco experience. Obviously its a catch-22 so trying to find a job you can do, with a small percentage of cisco is your best bet.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I've heard CCNA is an entry level cert....hmmm....I disagree. Like the rest here say, Cisco is not easy to find, I would love to myself, but alas....anyway, read Cisco, Breathe Cisco, Eat Cisco, etc.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    I agree w/ Sab4you. I currently run a Windows LAN but I'm also moving over into networking. I've already had excellent hands on experience with multiple routers and switches, VPN's, and tons of VLANS. I run the servers but in the mean while, I learn Cisco. I also have a 800 series, 2950 , and small Pix setup @ home so I can study and learn then apply it.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I've heard CCNA is an entry level cert....hmmm....I disagree.
    CCNA is actually an entry level cert, you don't need any prior experience or certs to get your CCNA. However, there are very few entry-level Cisco jobs you can get as a CCNA without experience.

It is entry-level for Cisco education, which doesn't mean it's easy. icon_wink.gif

Most Cisco people I met and/or worked with that were actually good at what they were doing we either not certified at all, or CCIE certified, or CCNP certified but doing CCNA level work. The latter is often the case for those CCNPs without experience.

So CCNA+experience > CCNP-experience

I think CCNA is a great certification for a sys admin, for example, who needs something to persuade his employer in letting him touch their Cisco routers ;)

Showing pictures and network diagrams of your impressive home lab does contribute as well though.
    Zwolle- The Netherlands ??
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Many have failed where you succeeded. icon_thumright.gif

Now don't think that will earn you a prize or anything icon_lol.gif
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Webmaster wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I've heard CCNA is an entry level cert....hmmm....I disagree.
    CCNA is actually an entry level cert, you don't need any prior experience or certs to get your CCNA. However, there are very few entry-level Cisco jobs you can get as a CCNA without experience.

It is entry-level for Cisco education, which doesn't mean it's easy. icon_wink.gif

Most Cisco people I met and/or worked with that were actually good at what they were doing we either not certified at all, or CCIE certified, or CCNP certified but doing CCNA level work. The latter is often the case for those CCNPs without experience.

So CCNA+experience > CCNP-experience

I think CCNA is a great certification for a sys admin, for example, who needs something to persuade his employer in letting him touch their Cisco routers ;)

Showing pictures and network diagrams of your impressive home lab does contribute as well though.

That's pretty much what I meant, but the explanation from someone who knows more is good for all. After I complete sys admin job(someday) to get some IT experience, I plan on going to Cisco.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    Thanks guys....

I have 2 routers & 1 switch that I am working with. So far, I practice commands each day for about 30minutes - 1 hour. I will continue until I become a master.

The only thing is that I am struggling with time because I am currently studying for the SECURITY+ exam as well.
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III