scheduled test for 8-22-08, 1 quick question?

mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
First of all I would like to thank all of the moderators of this site for putting this very informational website together. I visit this site at least 5x a day. Whenever I ask a question or questions I get a reply/answer faster from you guys quicker than if I were to research it on the net!! (thanks Dynamik!!)

Now for my question? I feel very confident with all of the info I have retained in preparation for this test. I am using the Technotes from this site, ExamCram 2 and some measure up test questions (also wikipedia, how stuff works etc...) I have been studying for more than 90+ days. I still fell unsure about subnetting. I have read the info posted on this site but I am a still a novice. I understand the basic concepts until.... I get a question like,

"Find the broadcast address of 192.168.2.0 /27"

which totally blows my mind. I understand everything until I see the "/" at the end of a subnet address.

how would I answer this question (please in very basic terms) and should I worry about the test getting any more complex than this with subnetting .i.e CIDR etc...?

Comments

• dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    the Subnet is 192.168.2.0
    The Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.224
    The BroadCast ADdress : 192.168.2.31

Well this is the point.

u need to know /24 means 255.255.255.0. If u use /27 you are borrowin 3 bits (27-24)
    This 3 will be used for network ids. The rest 5 for hosts. Anyways, the way that I do is the Following I use this small table
    2^7=128,2^6=64,2^5=32,2^4=16,2^3=8,2^2=4,2^1=2,2^0=1

AAAAAAAA.BBBBBBBB.CCCCCCCC.xxxyyyyy

Since xxx(3bits) are used for Network Ids, the yyyyy(5bits) are used for host ids. Well This 5 bits needs to be filled with 1s in order to get the broadcasts for that subnet and compared with the small table above that I mentioned before. In this case
    16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 =31
    y y y y y

This is how we get the 31. Theere are other different ways.. Goog luck on it.
    close to MCSA!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mjones wrote:
    I visit this site at least 5x a day.

Why would you ever leave icon_scratch.gif
    mjones wrote:
    I understand the basic concepts until.... I get a question like,

"Find the broadcast address of 192.168.2.0 /27"

which totally blows my mind. I understand everything until I see the "/" at the end of a subnet address.

how would I answer this question (please in very basic terms) and should I worry about the test getting any more complex than this with subnetting .i.e CIDR etc...?

/27 just tells you how many bits are used for the subnet mask.

11111111.11111111.11111111.11100000 which is simply 255.255.255.224

I'm not sure how in-depth the exam gets into subnetting. It seems a little beyond the scope of it, but you never know.

Check out www.learntosubnet.com and www.subnettingquestions.com

You'll have to learn it eventually, might as well do it now and be over-prepared for your exam ;)

It's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I think it's safe to say you will not see any questions on subnetting like that

i could however see a question on why you would subnet a network
    WIP: IPS exam
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    You will have to know default subnets (255.255.255.0 = Class C) and maybe why you would need to subnet a network, but that's it. Don't worry about what you posted being on the test. But yeah, know it anyway because it's only to your benefit.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all of you guy's for making subnetting easy for me to understand icon_lol.gif
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Yeah I don't think you'll see any questions about actually doing any subnetting on the test.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    I did the test yesterday. I had a couple of questions like that one........ Be carefull
    close to MCSA!!
  • BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Second that, did exam yesterday few subnetting questions.
  • evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Barrypr wrote:
    Second that, did exam yesterday few subnetting questions.

Third that, subnetting was involved with a few of the questions I had with 2 or 3 looking similar to what was posted.
    Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
    Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
    Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
    Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
    Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security
    Well there is some that aren't graded. I hope those aren't on the test, I'm taking it soon and I don't know that stuff. There is nothing what was on the first test in any of my Network+ study guides. That will be lame if I get one of those
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    Net+ doesnt really have much of any of this on it so dont worry, but nice question tho overall.
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Why would you ever leave icon_scratch.gif
    About that, dynamik. We're going to call an intervention if you don't back away from the keyboard, get some rest. . . and come back with buffalo wings. Seriously, man, those Clockwork Orange eyelid-holders are going to give you some kind of cancer. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SamCarterSamCarter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, dvalenzuela, I just had to say thanks for that. I took some classes that touched on subnetting and the teacher did not explain it that way. I know there are a million ways to do it, but that one actually makes sense to me! :D
    I learned Subnetting from this Forum......... It 's awesome...
    close to MCSA!!
    I learned the little I know about custom subnetting so far from learntosubnet.com