Where to Start?

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
I'm intrested in taking this course for CEH. How do I get started? Can this program be done at self-pace? So how does it work? Just order the book then take the test? Can anyone take it?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to contact EC Council if you're going to self study. You need to send in your experience and get approval if you don't want to take the course (I really need to do this. I keep forgetting...).

You can probably setup a course through www.eccouncil.org

I'd be wary of "non-official" courses as EC Council might not except them.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    dynamik wrote:
    You need to contact EC Council if you're going to self study. You need to send in your experience and get approval if you don't want to take the course (I really need to do this. I keep forgetting...).

You can probably setup a course through www.eccouncil.org

I'd be wary of "non-official" courses as EC Council might not except them.

So I need previous work experience to take the course? Is this true with all of the courses they offer?
    I believe you can take the course (and subsequently the exam) without experience. I think the experience requirement is only for self-study.
    dynamik wrote:
    I believe you can take the course (and subsequently the exam) without experience. I think the experience requirement is only for self-study.

Oh darn. Funny how they sell the book at stores such as Borders. So I can pretty much study the book but not take the exam then. icon_sad.gif
    Yea. The reason they gave me is that they want to make sure people will use the knowledge ethically. To be completely honest, it seems like an excuse to push a course on people. As you said, CEH material is readily available, so it would be extremely difficult (i.e. impossible) to ensure that people only use that knowledge for good.

I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say those requirements are for their reputation and the reputation of the certification, but you can't uncover a person's ethical nature from a short course or a resume.

Regardless, that's how it stands. What are you currently doing for work? You should give them a call and see if your experience is adequate. You just need a resume and a letter from a supervisor.
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea. The reason they gave me is that they want to make sure people will use the knowledge ethically. To be completely honest, it seems like an excuse to push a course on people. As you said, CEH material is readily available, so it would be extremely difficult (i.e. impossible) to ensure that people only use that knowledge for good.

I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say those requirements are for their reputation and the reputation of the certification, but you can't uncover a person's ethical nature from a short course or a resume.

Regardless, that's how it stands. What are you currently doing for work? You should give them a call and see if your experience is adequate. You just need a resume and a letter from a supervisor.

Eh I have no previous work experience at all. Student at Devry finishing my degree and studying for MCSE. Was just curious about the course. Seems something that should look good on a resume. Yeah I know the skills learned can be used against a company network or a user for example. I guess it's more of a "trust" issue.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The material on CEHv6 is good to know regardless if you take the exam or not. I'm planning on doing the self-study route next year, and I have no idea if my previous work experience will be acceptable for qualifying me to take the CEHv6 exam, but I don't really care. The CEH a structured study plan for stuff I need to know.
    JD, they told me my experience was more than adequate. I can't imagine you not qualifying for it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    JD, they told me my experience was more than adequate. I can't imagine you not qualifying for it.
    Hmmm...I guess the EC-Council needs the money. ;)