Unable to query hostname on a remote DC via WAN

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently troubleshooting an issue in our Los Angeles office not able to query DNS records to our Michigan office, our Michigan office is a child domain, and we currently have a MPLS site-to-site VPN, I am able to ping resources over at Michigan but unable to UNC using hostname.

We currently have a Primary Zone AD-I for each office, and a stub zone for each office pointed to each DC.

There is no conditional forwarding configured, only unconditional forwarding that is pointed to our ISP.

Comments

• jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went and modified each DHCP Scope Option 006 DNS Server and added the DC located in Michigan, problem persists.
    I am able to query hostnames using FQDN, but not netbios/hostname.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Hmm... can't query by netbios name... DNS is used for FQDN resolution... Wonder what is used for NetBIOS name resolution...

Come on, man, you're an MCSE...
    Good luck to all!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Add the various domains to the clients DNS search suffix list via a GPO

How to configure a domain suffix search list on the Domain Name System clients
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275553
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Hmm... can't query by netbios name... DNS is used for FQDN resolution... Wonder what is used for NetBIOS name resolution...

Or like Hero said, use that "other" name resolution technology... you know the one for NetBIOS name resolution...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you UNC using the FQDN, if not make sure the domain is in the search list, or use "the other name resolution" protocol
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    HeroPsycho wrote:

Alright I'm aware of this, I can just basically modify TCP/IP connection and append DNS suffixes without resorting to a WINS server, or modify it via GPO Computer Configration\Administrative Templates\Network\DNS Client\DNS Suffix Search List.

My intent is to merely understand why the PDC (Master Browser) needs a WINS server?
    But anyways my issue has already been resolved, I love bouncing ideas cause it improves my understanding and helps others, perhaps I should re-think this next time.
    Gotta say, dude, maybe you should go back and learn your MCSE stuff instead of moving on to RHCE and CCNA.

Not trying to be mean, but if you don't know how NetBIOS works, you have some serious brushing up to do.
    Good luck to all!
    Because NetBIOS doesn't span broadcast domains.
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Gotta say, dude, maybe you should go back and learn your MCSE stuff instead of moving on to RHCE and CCNA.

Not trying to be mean, but if you don't know how NetBIOS works, you have some serious brushing up to do.

I must admitt I fell short on WINS and might need a brush up, specially that I already mentioned that I am a jr. System Admin/Desktop Support, but I am sure I am not the only MCSE that still might be confused with some technologies. Not that I am against your suggestion, I just think you come out with an idea that every MCSE should be like you.

On the other hands, don't worry part of my plan is to master MCSE, that's why I told myself to go back and redo the whole Trainsignal track, I just really find your response quite not very nice.
    I just hope this doesn't scare people who are confused like me from posting further.

I'm done with this, thanks for the help.
    jbaello wrote:
    I must admitt I fell short on WINS and might need a brush up, specially that I already mentioned that I am a jr. System Admin/Desktop Support, but I am sure I am not the only MCSE that still might be confused with some technologies. Not that I am against your suggestion, I just think you come out with an idea that every MCSE should be like you.

On the other hands, don't worry part of my plan is to master MCSE, that's why I told myself to go back and redo the whole Trainsignal track, I just really find your response quite not very nice.

This is a major part of foundational, fundamental knowledge required to support Windows.

Every MCSE should know this. This isn't esoteric knowledge. While it's role isn't as important as DNS and is being deemphasized, you absolutely should know it. It's not that you kinda didn't know, or got confused. You demonstrated a complete lack of understanding about this important topic. What would your reaction be to an MCSE 2000 or 2003 if they had no clue how Active Directory fundamentally worked?

The problem is precisely not all MCSE's know it, and it's a major problem for you that you don't know it.

Ask yourself: What was the point of the cert - to get the cert, or to prove you know your stuff?

I don't want to be nice to you; I want to help you.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

This is a major part of foundational, fundamental knowledge required to support Windows.

Every MCSE should know this. This isn't esoteric knowledge. While it's role isn't as important as DNS and is being deemphasized, you absolutely should know it. It's not that you kinda didn't know, or got confused. You demonstrated a complete lack of understanding about this important topic. What would your reaction be to an MCSE 2000 or 2003 if they had no clue how Active Directory fundamentally worked?

The problem is precisely not all MCSE's know it, and it's a major problem for you that you don't know it.

Ask yourself: What was the point of the cert - to get the cert, or to prove you know your stuff?

I don't want to be nice to you; I want to help you.

Your basically pointing out that I'm a paper cert, dude bottomline I fixed the issue on a production environment.

I am still learning, although I cannot memorize and fully understand the whole technet nor the whole MCSE which are 7 exams each book and about 500 - 1000 pages, yet I admit I had alot of brushing up to do, like I posted here.

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37607

I agree with you that this things are fundamentals, but your also forgetting that the best teacher is real world experience and this things start materializing to you when your already on the battlefield, and I am basically just starting to really touch/troubleshoot/configure this technologies, maybe when I had a background like yours and I have MCSE 2000/2003 then I can start to act like an elitist.

You quote "Major Problem" I do not think so as far as I'm concern I still have a decent job, and your advise again is good, I just cannot buy into your rudeness. When I interviewed with a Windows Architect from Microsoft and I quote him saying "As a last resort, when everything else is failing and your out of options, your best solution is to ask someone from Microsoft who has 55,000 employees, because you'll come to a problem where you will not know the answers to it"

Have a nice weekend!
    jbaello wrote:
    Your basically pointing out that I'm a paper cert, dude bottomline I fixed the issue on a prodcution environment.

I submit you didn't.
    astorrs wrote:
    Add the various domains to the clients DNS search suffix list via a GPO

How to configure a domain suffix search list on the Domain Name System clients
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275553
    jbaello wrote:
    I agree with you that this things are fundamentals, but your also forgetting that the best teacher is real world experience and this things start materializing to you when your already on the battlefield, and I am basically just starting to really touch/troubleshoot/configure this technologies.

Being at the controls without having even a foundational knowledge is also the best recipe for disaster, and it's also a great way to lose your job, and cause serious disruption for your employer, which could be a major problem for society if you work for a hospital or something like that.

I wasn't rude once, btw. I was honest with you, and tried to help.
    Good luck to all!
    Like everyone else does, that's why there is a site like Techexams, that's why there are sites like Technet so we can reference to it, and I did not say I didn't used Astorrs advise, and for that I thank him, the only advise I saw from you was ridiculing me.

Recipe for disaster I agree, that's why test things on a test box, before I fully implement it on a production environment, I believe I just purchased a rack so I can improve my skills.
    Heropsycho wrote:
    Being at the controls without having even a foundational knowledge is also the best recipe for disaster, and it's also a great way to lose your job, and cause serious disruption for your employer, which could be a major problem for society if you work for a hospital or something like that.

I wasn't rude once, btw. I was honest with you, and tried to help.

Or maybe let's just put it this way, everything you've configured from day 1 you started your career has pretty much fired up flawlessly and you have not encountered a single issue. And your foundational knowledge was as crystal clear to you from day 1 and that real world experience is no longer a factor for your elitist approach, is this what your trying to say to me?
    jbaello wrote:
    Like everyone else does, that's why there is a site like Techexams, that's why there are sites like Technet so we can reference to it, and I did not say I didn't used Astorrs advise, and for that I thank him, the only advise I saw from you was ridiculing me.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but believe me, there are a lot of people who feel the same way I do about your patterns of behavior here, you can bet on that. You're not asking others after "all else fails" because you never gained a basic foundational knowledge about what you're working with first, and you're clearly not gonna do it now, or else you wouldn't be moving on to RHCE and CCNA.

I want to give you a comparison of you and I. I'm learning PowerShell. I have practically 0 experience with scripting. 0! How many questions do you see me posting on this forum about PowerShell? 0!

Why? Because I know I need to learn the basics first. I'm not going to waste anyone's time until I learn the basics of it, and bang my head on a problem for hours and hours because that's how you learn. If I still can't get an issue resolved, THEN I ask for help! I ordered 3 PowerShell books, and I'm reading them cover to cover, and I'm doing my own thing to get some basic experience. Everyone would agree by reading what you wrote above you didn't have any basic knowledge about NetBIOS before you posted. There's a difference!

Look, do as you wish, it's your life, and it's your career. I do guarantee you that spreading yourself so thin you aren't gaining a solid foundation of knowledge with anything you work with won't get you anywhere good.

You can call that rude, or whatever you want, but it's the truth, and you'd be much better off accepting that and doing something about it than getting pissed with someone on a forum.
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Time! I'm going to call it there fellas!

Let's all (except for astorrs and other Canadians) relax and enjoy our holiday weekend icon_cool.gif
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but believe me, there are a lot of people who feel the same way I do about your patterns of behavior here, you can bet on that. You're not asking others after "all else fails" because you never gained a basic foundational knowledge about what you're working with first, and you're clearly not gonna do it now, or else you wouldn't be moving on to RHCE and CCNA.

Look, do as you wish, it's your life, and it's your career. I do guarantee you that spreading yourself so thin you aren't gaining a solid foundation of knowledge with anything you work with won't get you anywhere good.

You can call that rude, or whatever you want, but it's the truth, and you'd be much better off accepting that and doing something about it than getting pissed with someone on a forum.

I admitt I skip read alot of information when I ask for help, and I even admit I have alot of things that I need change and improvement, what I won't tolerate is someone like you belittling people who are trying to pull themselves up. It won't take me an hour to fully understand WINS if I put full dedication on this matter, I just cannot see how you can use the words you have used the whole time on this threads.

Don't worry Heropsycho people like you motivates me more to understand the course well, and to be more self reliant, you are missing a great fact that everyone who is posting on this forums comes from different walks of life, as for me English is my second language, maybe some people would have ADHD etc. or maybe they just barely finished their MCSE and had absolutely no world experience, and the people you have mentioned that noticed my pattern usually has a different approach than your elitist approach.
    dynamik wrote:

Let's all (except for astorrs and other Canadians) relax and enjoy our holiday weekend icon_cool.gif

+1

get-people | where-object {$_.arguingfornogoodreason -eq "True"} | stop-argument

*offering jbaello a peace pipe* :D
    Good luck to all!
    I must apologize... I will try harder understanding MCSE 2003, at least you motivated me.

I dropped out of Dynamik group study, cause I just thought I would have done injustice to M$.
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

+1

get-people | where-object {$_.arguingfornogoodreason -eq "True"} | stop-argument

*offering jbaello a peace pipe* :D
    Not that I really want to add to this thread at this point, but us Canadians get Labour Day off too. Oh and I'm glad we can all be friends again. icon_lol.gif

Oh and by "pipe" I assume you mean "|" since we're talking PowerShell... clever bugger.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is NetBIOS and WINS?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    What is NetBIOS and WINS?
    Right on time... we can all thank her majesty for injecting some humor once again. Awesome. icon_lol.gif
    I am making this post out of my sincerest want to help. You're brushing through your certs at lightning speed because it seems to me that having a bunch of certs will make you appear to be a good engineer. A good engineer doesn't need certs and certs are a way to "validate" your skills or to get a job. But when going for either, it's essential that you look at the method you are going about achieving those certs.

A good engineer will take the time to go research and truly understand what is going on. They don't want answers handed to them so they can just click and done. You'll never be a good engineer that way. You need to learn how something works. For instance, going through your MCSE, WINS is a very fundamental topic of WINS and any MCSE should know what WINS is and how/when to implement it.

I also don't blame you for not knowing the answer. There are a lot of protocols out there and it's difficult at times to really know what can cross a router and what is broadcasted and how all protocols can work. But again, WINS and NetBIOS is a really fundamental protocol that all Microsoft guys should really know.

WINS Whitepaper:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728457.aspx

Here is a good whitepaper. Because you fully don't understand it, I encourage you to go read it so you can have a great understanding of NetBIOS/WINS. Knowledge is power and knowledge and understanding will only make you stronger and a better engineer/admin.
    And knowing is half the battle...

gijoe.jpg
    Good luck to all!
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I don't understand why people get down on others for asking for help before they have spent x hours on a problem.

Where I am it is expected that if we don't know something we use our peers as a resource because they may already have the answer we seek. Saying to someone "exhaust all other options and come back to me when you have none" is not a very productive way to learn or work, IMO.

I am not disagreeing with how some here may think others are rushing through things too fast, but I will say I think that some of you have a VERY old school mentality and I am glad I don't work with you.

My 2 cents.

Travis
    From my perspective, I'd rather people go look stuff up and research something before coming up to me because:
    1. It shows the person has initiative
    2. It shows the person has the capability to figure things out
    3. It helps the other person learn more due to the amount of information they would go through from research rather than just getting a straight answer from me

If you then want a clarification or are confused about something, then come to me.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    royal wrote:
    From my perspective, I'd rather people go look stuff up and research something before coming up to me because:
    1. It shows the person has initiative
    2. It shows the person has the capability to figure things out
    3. It helps the other person learn more due to the amount of information they would go through from research rather than just getting a straight answer from me

If you then want a clarification or are confused about something, then come to me.

I know where you are coming from, and I agree to a point. I think the situation is important. If its test or lab scenario, they should do the research and testing then come for help.

But if we are talking production environment, and something is wrong, time is more important than getting the benefit of the learning process. It wasn't like the question was.. "What is WINS", or "What is DNS", it was "I have this problem in this production environment".