Options

Good router for inter-vlan Routing?

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
Looking at a few 2600 series. In particular, a 2610 with a 10mb ethernet port. I was told all 2600 routers can route between VLANs and trunk. Can the 2610 do it with it's 10mb port? Do I need to add a module?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any Cisco router with two Ethernets OR one FastEthernet will do.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • Options
    So any 2600 with dual interfaces or one single fast ethernet will work? What are some models that have fast ethernet?
  • Options
    dissolved wrote:
    What are some models that have fast ethernet?
    2600s are modular, you can stick a FastEthernet module in any model.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • Options
    Wait a minute. If you can do 802.1q encapsulation .....isnt that considered trunking?
  • Options
    dissolved wrote:
    If you can do 802.1q encapsulation .....isnt that considered trunking?
    Well, I don't think so. If you can do 802.1q encapsulation, it doesn't necessarily mean you're trunking. Trunking, as far as I know, means carrying traffic from multiple VLANs over the same link. Even if you configure 802.1q encapsulation at both ends of a link, if there's only one VLAN going over that link I still wouldn't call that "trunking". But other people may have different opinins here.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make earlier with the two Ethernet interfaces is that it's possible to do inter-VLAN routing even if you don't have 802.1q capable Ethernet interfaces. You simply connect eth0 to a switch port belonging to VLAN1, and eth1 to a switch port belonging to VLAN2, and then route between eth0 and eth1.

With a FastEthernet interface (and I hear now Cisco has some Ethernet interfaces that are 802.1q capable) you would do trunking. I'll let it to you to figure out how to configure the router and the switch for this. ;)
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • Options
    omarirfanomarirfan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have (2) 2620, (1) 3661, and (1) 1720 routers and some other equipment you may be able to use at below market prices. Contact if interested. First come first server.

dissolved wrote:
    Looking at a few 2600 series. In particular, a 2610 with a 10mb ethernet port. I was told all 2600 routers can route between VLANs and trunk. Can the 2610 do it with it's 10mb port? Do I need to add a module?
    Thanks
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I use a 2612 with one ethernet port and 802.1q however u need atleast IOS 12.1(icon_cool.gif to do this. Other encap types require 1FE or 2E
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.