send automated message to network users when server reboots

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Forum,
I want to automatically schedule a reboot on my windows 2003 server everyday at a set time. I would like to have the server send a message to users who are logged into the network, which notifies the end user that the server will be rebooting in X amount of time.

Is there a way to achive this with standard Window commands?

thank you,
Arrakis

Comments

• kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use Windows messaging, and make sure all the user computers are running Windows Messaging because its usually not turned on by default.
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    this is a guess. use a script?
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    this is a guess. use a script?

net send * "Server is rebooting, foo!"
    shutdown /r /f

Put in batch file as a scheduled task. Done.
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't turn on the messenger service, the reason it was turned off by default was because it was so easily exploited.

Unfortunately, I don't know of another built in windows tool to do this, though I'm sure there are freebies out there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Script starting everyone's messenger service to start, send the message, script the stopping of it, and reboot the server...

(You know, PowerShell would work great for this. icon_cool.gif )
    Good luck to all!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    intern + razr
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • kellyjohnkellyjohn Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On Command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and use windows at command to schedule reboot:
    c:> at 2:00am c:\admutils\psshutdown.exe -r -f -c -t 10
    Above command will reboot system at 2am. If you want to shutdown system:
    c:> at 1:00am c:\admutils\psshutdown.exe -s -f -c -t 10
    Where,

* -s: Shutdown windows server
    * -r: Reboot windows server
    * -f: Forces all running application to exit
    * -c: Allow the shutdown to by cancel by user
    * -t: Specifies the countdown in seconds until the shutdown
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not have a solution, but why do you need to reboot the server every day?

I'm asking this because we have several ancient os/2 servers that we MUST reboot every day and we hate that we have to reboot the servers...
  • tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    I wouldn't turn on the messenger service, the reason it was turned off by default was because it was so easily exploited.

I received an email from MS today with the following text in it "Microsoft takes the security of your information very seriously"

HAHA
    barmetallicafanjb1.jpg
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    if the phones can receive a text message from an email (ie, username/phoneumber@alltel.com or something) would it be possible to have the server send an email to an account you set up, and then from there add all emails to a mailing list sort of thing and send it out like that? maybe?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I too want to know why it needs to be restarted everyday. And if it does for some legit reason need to be restarted why not do it at 3 am when no one will be on.

Another easier solution is to put out a memo. The server will reboot everyday at X time. After a week or two everyone that will be affected will know.