Options

Dual Booting... help

bignibigni Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I always thought you could dual boot any two MS operating systems.
Or at least be able to dual boot Win 2000 with Win 98.

But this information I came across state otherwise:

"Based on the MS Support KB,
Dual-boot configurations between the personal operating system platforms (Windows Me, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, Windows 95 OEM versions, and Windows 95) are not supported. For example, Windows Me and Windows 98 cannot be installed on the same computer and you cannot boot from one personal operating system to another. These operating systems share the same Io.sys, Msdos.sys, and Command.com files. Also, multiple-boot configurations of Windows NT, Windows 2000, and a personal operating system, for example, Windows Me or Windows 98, are not supported." - Cert21

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Sure you can. You will likely get a question on your exam about which file system should you install Win2000 to if you wish the partition to be visible by Win98. The answer of course is FAT32 since it is the common file system between the two OSes.

Install the older OS first.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    tamaractamarac Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably better to do it the standard way to learn how, but I have dual booted between 98 and XP using Bootmagic. It made it very easy and it is no problem to add other OS's as well. I recommend it, even though I know the standard way to dual boot.