The AIO CISSP book CD questions

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
The one thing I really wish you could do with the Shon Harris AIO questions on the CD is print out the questions with the explanations, such as you can obviously do with the cccure questions. The only way I see doing it is with print screen, which is a pain. I guess there is no other way?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mog27 wrote:
    The one thing I really wish you could do with the Shon Harris AIO questions on the CD is print out the questions with the explanations, such as you can obviously do with the cccure questions. The only way I see doing it is with print screen, which is a pain. I guess there is no other way?

From what I've heard, that's basically a Transcender exam. All the material should be stored as XML files. Check the installation directory. You might need to play around with it a bit to get the right formatting, etc.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Nah I just see .ser and .jar files.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

You might want to try extracting contents the .jar files with something like winrar.

I'll take a look at mine when I get home (if I remember).
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    dynamik wrote:
    You might want to try extracting contents the .jar files with something like winrar.

I'll take a look at mine when I get home (if I remember).

Get a chance to check it out yet?

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'll have a look at the AIO3 CD this evening and see what the storage format is like.
    .ser is serialized Java data. That's right up your alley, JD ;)

That's definitely not a Transcender exam. Maybe whoever mentioned it meant they were nearly identical in terms of content. Sorry I can't help.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, the questions are in the *.ser files and they are unencrypted. However, the questions, answer selections, and answer explanations are in different parts of the file, so it's not simple to read it by sight. You would need to find the corresponding .class file in a .jar file that is used to unserialize the .ser file data, decompile it (assuming it's not obfuscated), and write a program that uses it to read and display the data in the .ser files. It's actually an interesting programming project, but to do so is technically a violation of the DMCA.