Options

70-306 on 08-26-2008 UPdate: ***Passed with 925 on 9/2/2008*

Hello Everyone,

I'm taking a legacy exam on 08-26-2008. I'm working on the MCAD right now, and I'll update everyone.

I've read several posts here about the exam being outdated, but I chose it for different reasons:

1. To show employers that I know how to program
2. To get a credential that many HR departments are still asking for and paying well for
3. To enhance my SQL and Networking skills -- which it does help for windows scripting.

4. Because I'm broke and I was able to get discounts on the vouchers and the Microsoft Press Books. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If I pass this, I'll take the XML exam next.

Have a good one!
I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Just because it's out dated doesn't mean it's not still in use. I'm currently working on my MCDBA which is on SQL Server 2000 but there are still companies out there that use it. I plan to move on to the SQL Server 2005 stuff next. Get you MCAD but study the current stuff as well to keep up with the technology.

Good luck!
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Okay,

I wanted to update everyone on my exam, which I just passed with a 925. First, I had to delay the exam by one week on account of my getting me the "Call of Duty" as a gift, which is the equivalent of crack for someone like me. I played it the whole entire weekend and wasn't prepared for the exam. icon_redface.gif

Anyway, after receiving my Call of Duty fix, I sobered back up and finished preparing for the exam..

Some thoughts...

1. 90% of the .Net 1.1 framework is included in the .Net 2.0 framework. I was able to run every exercise from the book in Visual Studio 2005 with the exception of 5 exercises. I can see why Microsoft only requires one upgrade exam.

2. Watch out for sequel: my goodness, it seemed like a little less than half the exam was on sequel server: there were questions about triggers, data adaptors, data sets, etc.

3. As a new programmer, the hardest part for me was mastering the concept of returning a value through functions. This seems to be the key to understanding Visual Basic Syntax, make sure you know it well because you will constantly use it on the exam.

4. Know Error handling like the back of your hand.

Finally, I went on career builder and did a search for VB.NET. I was surprised and elated to see just how many job postings there were for the older technology. I intend to finish up the MCAD, then finish my MCSE, and then go back and start upgrading everything.

One more plus, everything from the exam actually came out of the Microsoft Press Book!!!! I had never seen that before, but I had heard it used to be like that.

Have a good one!
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! Now you can get back to Call of Duty :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln