Differences between 640-801 and 640-802

Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone who has taken either or both comment on important differences between the two? For example, is SDM and ISR really that important to know, or are they minor additional features of the new exam? Thanks.
Starting my CCNA journey!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you do a quick search through the forum there was a million of these threads when the 802 first came out, or you could just compare the exam objectives.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This topic was discussed in great depth last year, Fall 2007. If you do a search, you'll be able to find it. I can't remember all the differences asides from the removal of ISDN, addition of SDM and some security as well as some wireless emphasis. There are many more, but I can't remember.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As mentioned, there are lots of threads about the 640-802 exam and the new topics vs. what's been dropped from 640-801 posted in the CCNA forum. The best thing you can do, if you're worried that you've been studying the older material, is to pick up a study guide for the latest exam. You can also compare the topics between the two tests by checking out the pages for 640-801 and 640-802 on Cisco's website. Per the NDA, those of us who've passed the CCNA can't really tell you much more than that.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
    Starting my CCNA journey!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Hey...just an observation, but it seems to be a lot of responses on the CCNA boards stating that "things have already been asked...do a search." To be honest, whenever I see that statement, I haven't seen the hundreds or millions of threads that is being referenced. Without those asking questions and/or helping out, there wouldn't be hundreds of the threads.

On the flip side, I do enjoy this statement from members when they link to a few of these threads they are referencing. Maybe the original poster did not enter the correct search words to get the best threads that explained what he/she was seeking. Just an observation :) .

Let's help each other out...we all have a choice to respond or not.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The reason you see people respond with that is because a lot of the stuff asked here is either covered in the FAQ or another recent post.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, but its a better idea to read through the forum first so you are not asking the exact same thing another person has. For example "what equipment should I use for a lab?" This is a redundant question that a little research could give you the answer if the person just looked.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And you'll probably stumble upon other information you didn't even know you wanted to know!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    The reason you see people respond with that is because a lot of the stuff asked here is either covered in the FAQ or another recent post.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, but its a better idea to read through the forum first so you are not asking the exact same thing another person has. For example "what equipment should I use for a lab?" This is a redundant question that a little research could give you the answer if the person just looked.

Again...nothing wrong with that, and I will say that there isn't a lot of people saying that without links to a few of the threads they reference, but there are a lot of responses from a few.

I know that I posted a few threads about labs. I wanted specific information about the lab I was thinking about building. I will be posting more threads as I continue Cisco studies...I'm sure of it. Some of the threads are old, maybe there has been some updating. For instance...I started a thread about my lab and found out that the 2610XM's are not being supported anymore with the latest T IOS releases...someone could have told me to look at the FAQ or search through the threads, but they HELPED. I've also responded in the past for specific things and provided a few links and stated that they could find hundreds more by searching the forum or google.

I just feel like some people forget when they first became a member and asked questions that have been asked before...

Just my opinion of course....
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)