help with VLAN implementation?

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
I designated a few ports on my Cisco Switch for a second VLAN. However, I cannot get that VLAN to access the internet now. I know that each VLAN must be on a separate network than the other VLANs. I think my problem may be in choosing the IP addressing. I just chose a random IP address to throw on my new VLAN. Do I need to configure anything else? Oh and by the way, my network is not capable of routing in between VLANs. I have no layer 3 switch or 2600 series router.

Here's my network. VLAN 2 cant access the internet. ideas?

switch2.jpg
Do I need to configure anything else?
Thanks

Comments

• dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dissolved wrote:
    ideas?
    Yeah: inter-VLAN routing. It won't work otherwise.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if possible use dot1q
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • dswillieusdswillieus Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well for one, inter-VLAN routing, you need to create sub-interfaces on the 1.40 router. One sub-interface for your 1.0 network and one sub-interface for your 3.0 network. Your default gateway is wrong for VLAN 2 CPU, 3.1 cannot use 1.40 as a default gateway, different network.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You need a router that can handle a virtual interface.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    using intervlan routing : you have to create subinterfaces on your router ethernet interface and give them ip address as default gateway for your vlan. ex :
    router :
    subinterface e0.1 ip add 10.1.1.1
    subinterface e0.2 ip add 10.2.2.1

switch
    vlan1 gateways 10.1.1.1
    vlan2 gateways 10.2.2.1

have a nice try... :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • SniperHunterSniperHunter Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe your router needs to have a Fast Ethernet interface to do Intervlan routing.
    "You know what they say, Microsoft could sell sand in the desert, but Novell couldn't sell crack in Harlem"