Apprenticeships, Are their such things in IT?

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
As some of you know from other posts, I am taking a class for my A+ cert. My goal is to be a Network Technician and hopefully obtain my CCNA shortly after.

My school has job placement, but I am scared of only getting jobs that only deal with fixing computers and troubleshooting hardware. Im taking the A+ because I figured it's the best place to start at the bottom. I read a lot of posts on here and I KNOW that experience is a must to land an IT job.

After this class I really dont know how Im gonna go about getting my CCNA as funds are very limited. If I study on my own, I then Lack any type of lab experience unless I buy my own kit. Are there any type of jobs in the IT world that have apprenticeships with an experienced technician?

In the past I have had jobs such as Burglar alarm installer and Fire Alarm Installer. I had no experience and learned on the job. I guess with that said some of you might say why didnt he get an electronics degree and stick with one of those? I guess you can say that the IT field is an industry i can count on and trust that it will always be steady. I need job security in the career i choose and I also know that I can make some pretty good money.

I guess i can sum this up and say Im pretty scared that I wont be able to find a job that will lead me towards being a technician without having any previous experience. Is this field as competetive as it looks in finding a job? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its not impossible to find a job in IT without experience. Will it be harder? Yes, but by no means impossible. Everyone started with zero experience so don't be too nervous. If you want to go the networking route you should start looking at ISPs in your area. You probably won't start out with the glorious network career you want, but thats how careers go. It takes time and effort and I believe that is what a lot of people don't understand. They think it is a quick job you can get making money fast.

As far as an apprenticeship goes, I have never seen one (besides cabling jobs), but that doesn't mean they do not exist. Your best bet is to find an internship while you are in school.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you as you are always helpful.

I very new to this so would it be possible for you to list a few names of ISP's that I might look for? Also internships sound great, but I live on my own and have bills to pay. Unfortunately I need to make the crummy salary I make now just to squeak by and support myself. Im hoping to soon change my living situation and find something cheaper. I live in NJ 10 minutes from NYC. So I dont think it would be too hard to find an ISP but again, I dont know what type of companies to look for. Would Verizon or someone like that be an ISP? Sounds stupid but am I correct by sayin that stands for Internet Service Provider? Thanks again
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
    Yes you are correct, ISP = Internet Service Provider. Yes you are also correct that Verizon Business would be an ISP. Large business class providers like Verizon are usually always looking for people with a CCNA and there is almost always room for growth as they provide other services such as VoIP and large list of other managed services.

Your best bet would be to just do a quick google search for ISPs in your area. Then you can just contact them for openings. Also search the job boards like Monster, Dice or especially any local ones you have.
    What kind of job position or title should I look for in those companies?
    Michael

I wouldn't worry about tittles so much, but something along the lines of a tech. You should just read their job description and then apply if you have comparable skills. Don't worry about having everything they ask for, the worst they can say is no (or not say anything at all, don't know which is worse).
    Thanks a lot! you've been most helpful
    Michael

No problem, thats why we are all here, to help and get help when we need it.

I remember when I started my first job hunt. I was so lost it wasn't even funny.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    No problem, thats why we are all here, to help and get help when we need it.

I remember when I started my first job hunt. I was so lost it wasn't even funny.

The first interview nerves...I will never forget those icon_eek.gif