clearance on resume

livenliven Member Posts: 918
IF one has a security clearance, would it be advisable to list this on your resume?

This is more of a out of curiosity question than anything.

Thanks
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have it on mine it can't hurt.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    It's on mine. When resumes are scanned by whomever, if they are looking for security cleared folk only, my resume would pop up. I used to get calls all of the time from recruiters who were looking for people with security clearance to fill jobs...especially government contracts.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    flaunt it if you got it...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    How do you all have it listed? Is it a separate section with the title "Clearances"?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's involved with obtaining a security clearance? Is it worth the effort?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:

+1 I've been wondering about that
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I came across this while looking around: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52768-2003Feb10

It's a bit old. Is that still accurate?

[edit]

Wikipedia has some information as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_clearance
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most security clearance can only be obtained through employment where it is required, I don't think you can go out and persue it just to have it on your resume, and even if you can it's mighty expensive.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    dynamik wrote:

Like some others said it comes with the job that requires it. They do a background investiagion on you to check out your history. The more sensitive the material you will be dealing with the more in depth the investigation. Most defence industry IT jobs require some type of clearance. Is it worth it. It all depends. I know people with no IT experience just the right clearance and get jobs where they train them OJT CCNA and MCSE and start them out with a decent jobs. These were full scope poly people however. Look up that term if you wanna know what a full scope poly. So all in all it opens up more doors. I have very basic IT experience, but I know with my clerance my certs and AA degree that I won't have to work help desk I will move into a tier 3 position or engineer position with no problem.
    Yeah...if you have a TS with Poly's, you are in very good shape no matter what type of experience you have...it will be much cheaper to train you than for them to pay for a TS and Poly...it takes a while. I've posted int hreads before about so many governemnt contractors coming right out of the military with Security Clearances making 70+ a year with the most I've seen is 115K. Most positions I.T. and some are intelligence related...all were OJT'd.

As far as listing it on the Resume, I place it under my military related experience. Otherwise, I would place it under related work experience that the clearance was needed.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I got mine working for the gov, not in the military.

I don't think you can get one unless your job requires it. Then you have to get one.

IT IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE. The form is like 30 pages long and took me all weekend to fill out. They you have to renew it every so often.

Not complaining just state what its like if some of you ever get involved with this kind of stuff.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I am in the process of getting my SCI TS. I have my polygraph next week. It's a long process. The good thing, though, is you can fill out all your information using a software program called the EPSQ and it doesn't all have to be in one sitting. For a TS (top secret) you have to go back 10 years. So the pain in the arse is getting all the dates, places, people you knew, relatives, etc., etc. The investigator talks to the people you give as contacts and asks them general questions about your trustworthiness and to verify your info. They also do a credit check and talk to your neighbors.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Need to know basis....

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i would. i seen plenty of jobs here in Charleston that seem to require a clearance (Sucks for me, eh?)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Is it true that they only go so far back in your background history since the day you turned 18? I heard of this from somebody but cannot confirm if its true or not.

win2k4
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't believe it is true. I got my clearence when I was seventeen. I also know guys that have not gotten their clearence due to incidents when they were minors.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    win2k4 wrote:
    Is it true that they only go so far back in your background history since the day you turned 18? I heard of this from somebody but cannot confirm if its true or not.

win2k4

Def not true...the main thing to do is not lie and tell all...they will find out, and you will be denied since you didn't reveal...this applies to the serious stuff in your past.
  • spangburspangbur Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    win2k4 wrote:

win2k4

I have to agree with famos on this one. ALWAYS!!!! tell the truth no matter how shady your past may or may not be. When dealing with security clearances Big Brother doesn't expect everyone to be a saint but they do expect full disclosure.

Basically their take is that you probably made a mistake and learned. But if you lie then you're a lier and you can forget about getting a clearance.
  • sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Not sure if anyone has responded to this yet....

In order to get a govt security clearance, you first have to be hired for a position that requires one. (Hard to do since most employers are looking for some w/ the required clearance and will only hire unlceared as a last resort. Costs alot of money to do the investigation.) Unless you have a need for that clearance (if don't have one) you won't be able to apply for a clearance. I've been asked about that quite often because of the line of work I'm in.

If you're looking to get into the security clearance job field, you try some of the following companies or websites.

http:\\www.clearancejobs.net
    http:\\www.gdit.com
    http:\\www.lockheedmartin.com
    http:\\www.northropgurmman.com
    http:\\www.raytheon.com
    http:\\www.saic.com
    http:\\www.csc.com
    http:\\www.itt.com
    win2k4 wrote:

win2k4

As far as background investigations go....you have to be completely honest. Think of yourself as a candidate for president. They're going to scrutinize every little detail about your past (criminal, drug, financial, employment, family, relationships, and lifestyle.) If you disclose everything that may be considered adverse, and show the investigator that you learned from those mistakes then they usually decide favorably. If you lie and they catch you....pack it up and head on home. You're done.

As for how far they go back. On your initial investigation, they'll go back to when you were 16 or go back 5 years if you're over 22 I believe. Juvvie incidents may or may not be used...just depends on if the records were sealed by family court or not...and how old you were when the incident took place.
    empc4000xl wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Like some others said it comes with the job that requires it. They do a background investiagion on you to check out your history. The more sensitive the material you will be dealing with the more in depth the investigation. Most defence industry IT jobs require some type of clearance. Is it worth it. It all depends. I know people with no IT experience just the right clearance and get jobs where they train them OJT CCNA and MCSE and start them out with a decent jobs. These were full scope poly people however. Look up that term if you wanna know what a full scope poly. So all in all it opens up more doors. I have very basic IT experience, but I know with my clerance my certs and AA degree that I won't have to work help desk I will move into a tier 3 position or engineer position with no problem.

I really need to read through all the posts first, and they quote and write.

I just recently got out of the military, and landed a job with no degree and no certs...just experience....and *drum roll* a security clearance. Alot of companies will overlook the education/cert issue if you have clearance they need. They'll require you to get a cert during your probationary period though. Good thing I got my XP cert yesterday....start work on Monday. Cheers.
    empc4000xl wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I really need to read through all the posts first, and they quote and write.

I just recently got out of the military, and landed a job with no degree and no certs...just experience....and *drum roll* a security clearance. Alot of companies will overlook the education/cert issue if you have clearance they need. They'll require you to get a cert during your probationary period though. Good thing I got my XP cert yesterday....start work on Monday. Cheers.

Yeah, there are a lot of contracting and Federal jobs looking for cleared people and will train them and get them the credentials required. it's been like that for a VERY long time now.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    dtlokee wrote:
    Most security clearance can only be obtained through employment where it is required, I don't think you can go out and persue it just to have it on your resume, and even if you can it's mighty expensive.

You have to be sponsored by the company your working for. I don't think it is possible to obtain it of your own back but if you could it would cost thousands.

However, it IS very good to have and it opens up an great many doors and a slighly higher salary/rate than you would get without it due tot he element of trust also required.

Definately stick this on your resume and at what level of clearance you have. It will be one of your main selling points.
    Kam.
    In addition, if you know it, put what type of investigation was done and when you're clearance was adjucated (finalized or refinalized). I have a buddy who was hired over another person because his reinvestigation had been completed a year ago, and the other guy had to have his reinvestigation done next spring. If a company doesn't have to spend the money to reinvestigate right away, they won't.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    having a Top Secret SCI security clearance will put you into the CCIE salary range. don't believe me, let me tell you this. I worked with a guy not to long ago who only had his CCNA and 1 of his 4 CCNP tests completed who took on a position which required a Top Secret SCI clearance. He is now making over $100K a year, not in New York, not in Cali, we're talking St. Louis, MO. So i could only imagine what contractors make in NY or Cali who have TS SCI clearances. clearances are gold, especially at that level. they pretty much doubled his salary all together and put him in CCIE salary range, and he's only a CCNA. just thought i would enlighten some of you. If you want to make the big bucks without having to hold a big cert, government contractor requiring a security clearance is the way to go.
    having a Top Secret SCI security clearance will put you into the CCIE salary range. don't believe me, let me tell you this. I worked with a guy not to long ago who only had his CCNA and 1 of his 4 CCNP tests completed who took on a position which required a Top Secret SCI clearance. He is now making over $100K a year, not in New York, not in Cali, we're talking St. Louis, MO. So i could only imagine what contractors make in NY or Cali who have TS SCI clearances. clearances are gold, especially at that level. they pretty much doubled his salary all together and put him in CCIE salary range, and he's only a CCNA. just thought i would enlighten some of you. If you want to make the big bucks without having to hold a big cert, government contractor requiring a security clearance is the way to go.

yep!! In addition, it doesn't really matter what your work history is. If you have TS SCI, they will bring you on and train you. I've got two friends who were prior Navy I.T. and were offered jobs in VA for 130K for some type of Intel work. One couldn't take it because of family and the other took it and jumped ship after about 6 months to work for some other contractor...maybe it was CACI for 140K doing I.T. again for some government contract.