6509 switch and VLANs

phatsoundzphatsoundz Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've got my first design project in the real world.....I have a question about using two 6509s.

I'll have to create 3 to 5 VLANs and

I want to trunk VLANs between the two 6509s over fiber using a GigE port......No problems doing this right? I assume its the same set up as copper interfaces.

in addition, since this is a L3 switch, there is no external router needed for interVLAN comm.....this is handled within the switch itself i assume?

any info is helpful...thanks!

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    The trunking is similar but not exactly the same I believe there are a few different commands, and for the inter-vlan routing don't quote me on it but as long as you have a L3 interface for each VLAN up and operational I believe it will as long as you have them configured correctly.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Assuming they are eunning in native mode then the configuration is similar to a 3550. If you are using 2 switches for inter VLAN routing you may want to use something like HSRP or VRRP to load balance between the switches.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • phatsoundzphatsoundz Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i guess i have an ip question too......

as far as i know i was given two IPs to use for the two new 6509s......class B's (slightly change so i dont use actual addresses)(x=any Class B )
    x.187.190.100 and x.187.190.101

Current host range: (x=any Class B ) x.187.0.1 to x.187.255.254

I want to create 3-5 vlans.....

whats the best way to go about subnetting this to create vlans?

can i configure a private address range behind the 6509s? I'm really brain farting today...any help would be appreciated...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To subnet you need to figure how many hostst you will have on each vlan.

You can use private addresses but you will need to nat or the routes need to be advertised into the global address space (assuming you have a private WAN using public addresses)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    To subnet you need to figure how many hostst you will have on each vlan.

You can use private addresses but you will need to nat or the routes need to be advertised into the global address space (assuming you have a private WAN using public addresses)

I understand that, thanks, i have to get a few more details which i dont have yet.........to be continued.
    just for the record, i do know how to subnet...this is not the issue. but I guess what I'm having problems with is this:

?Design within an existing network. ?How to apply a private network on/behind the 6509s...i guess its the configuration i dont have alot of experience with. Do I just apply the ip and mask to the interfaces on the router/switch (its an L3 sw) with helper addresses and that should 'create' the new address space, and i'd have the DHCP pools updated on the DHCP server to service the newly created vlans? im thinking to use any private address scheme behind the 6509s to accomodate the needs/size of vlans.

i guess im just not sure how to 'create' the private address space.

this is what I know:
    ..class B's (slightly changed so i dont use actual addresses)(x=any Class B )

the network is currently one Flat network.
    a GW is x.187.200.100 255.255.0.0 so this means that the network is x.187.200.0 255.255.0.0

i was given two IPs to use for the two new 6509s....
    x.187.190.100 and x.187.190.101 both are 255.255.0.0

Current host range: (x=any Class B ) x.187.0.1 to x.187.255.254
    I am to create probably 3-5 vlans.....I am to trunk between the two 6509s and there are wirless APs hanging off the 6509s... i guess i have to trunk these to the sw........i think the GW services the ingress/egress for these 6509s and should be connected to at least one if not both of the 6509s.

i hope this makes things a bit more clear as to what im having trouble with and what im trying to accomplish.....thanks again for your suggestions.