Options

information about IT

cheeziecheezie Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guyz im new here so i dont now if i post on the right place... thought what im going to ask is not about certification so i posted here. ive realized that computer has became a passion of mine so i decided to take a carreer in IT but to be honest im really a newbie in this field so i dont know much about IT. i only know that it could be in programming, networking and hardware but im really not sure it its the only thing there is in IT so i dont know what path i should take. i would like to ask for information regarding the paths i could take in IT and information about them... sorry if this question is quiet basic but i know that i wont be able to push a carreer on IT if i dont know which path i could take... please help...
ill be waiting for any reaction about this... i really need your help.. thx and more power to TECHEXAMS.NET

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I may have misread, but what is your question? If you are asking what path to take, only you can answer that. What interests you the most? Why do you need to have one set path? Many IT professionals, if not most, are skilled in multiple areas.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Go forth to the A+ forum, my son, and seek your path there.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't consider hardware more than a starting point, unless you're thinking about being a computer/electrical engineer.

I think you're using "networking" as a generic filler to catch everything else. I consider "networking" to be things like cabling, switches, routers, firewalls, vpns, etc. In addition to that, there's also systems administration, such as managing Windows and Linux environments.

There are also server applications, such as Exchange (email), Oracle/SQL Server (databases), Sharepoint (collaboration), etc. Storage, Virtualization, and VOIP are all hot right now.

Security is a huge field. You can do anything from pentesting to designing disaster recovery plans and writing security policies.

A click glance at our forums shows that Citrix is at least slightly interesting (I'm an absolute neophyte when it comes to that, myself).

I'd just start exploring a lot of vendors products and see what you find appealing. Maybe pick up a few entry-level books for a few different disciplines and see what interests you.
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When you say the computer became a passion of yours...that's probably the best place to start - what facet of the computer, or computers, is your passion?

When I re-introduced myself to tech years ago, it was through learning HTML so I could work on a website for my band. from there I explored scripting but eventually steered more towards networking, desktop support, etc. when it came time to actual career stuff.

I'd say just start exploring in-depth whatever you are interested in right now. Things are so interrelated between software, hardware, servers, clients, OS, web, etc. that your path will surely be a windy one.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with the A+ certification. Start with A+Essentials, and then pick one of the following:
    IT technician, Remote Support, or Depot Technician. Most go with the IT technician as this is well-rounded.
    Network+ is another good cert, as it builds on the A+.
    After these certs, you will probably have a good idea about what path you would like to take.
  • Options
    wow there are already replies.. :) thx guyz i may have failed to state my question clearly sorry... what i wanted to ask was for information about the different fields that one could take on IT if it really has field... i look around the site and i was surprise about so many information here.. maybe i should look around a little more.. ahm so guyz your saying that there is no need for me to look for a path to specialize because i could do them all???

@ sir murray: thank you sir i found so many things on the link you gave me... looking forward to know more about IT..

P.S. after wondering around the websitte i decided to take up BS Information Technology for my degree do you think this is a good idea??

ill be waiting for your replies sir...
  • Options
    @ sir Psoasman i would like to ask if A+ essential different from A+core and A+OS??? or is it the same?? i didnt see any information about A+essential here... sorry im really confuse... icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cheezie - the A+ certification consists of 2 exams ... core & OS.

A+ is an entry level certification that concentrates on giving a basic understanding of both hardware and software. It is a great place for someone new to the field to start.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    @ sir russS thx for the info now im really on to something hehehe now everything is getting clear to me...

i would like to ask now for those entry books your telling.. can i buy it on bookstores??? is there any good entry level books for newbies can you please give me some samples ill try to look around thx again
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    RussS wrote:
    Cheezie - the A+ certification consists of 2 exams ... core & OS.

A+ is an entry level certification that concentrates on giving a basic understanding of both hardware and software. It is a great place for someone new to the field to start.

FYI, they've changed that setup. It's still two tests, but both have hardware and OS topics. The first exam is essentials while the second exam is job-related and there are three different part 2 exams, one for IT tech, one for remote tech, and one for depot tech.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/new_docs/CompTIA%20A+%202006%20Overview.pdf
  • Options
    ScottyPLoScottyPLo Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:

HAHAHA that was Funny and I agree Begin at the Beginning A+
    Who wants to die and leave a good looking corpse I want to slide across the finish line with a shot of Jager in my hand, bruised battered and beaten saying that was one hell of a ride :)
  • Options
    hi is there anyone who can tell me books that is good for beginners??? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    JDMurray wrote:

Hehe JD .. made me chuckle that one.
    Kam.