A+ OS versus Security+

New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I don't have much hands on experience so the OS portion of the A+ certification is proving to be sort of overwhelming. It seems that people with a lot of hands on experience felt that the OS portion wasn't too hard.

I've already completed the Core portion of the A+ certification. I'm planning on pursuing the Security+ after completing the OS (which I'm working on right now and hope to take by the end of this week).

So, I was wondering which one was harder for those of you who have completed both the A+ and Sec+. The OS portion of the A+ or Sec+.

I'm not incuding the Core as it seemed kind of easy.

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I have not taken either but I do know that A+ (both exams) are extremely EASY. Security+ is the TOUGHEST of the Comptia tests and has very difficult wording on the exam. In my opinion the two are not even comparable.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Agreed. While they're not entirely related, if you can't pass A+, you have no business taking Sec+. Completely different.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay let me re-state question then.

A+ OS
    Sec+

Which one did you find to be more difficult in terms of studying for and in terms of the exam itself.

I'm not intimidated by the OS or anything. I'm certain I'll pass it and most likely on the first attempt. I suppose I'm just finding that the scope of material required to know is broad particularly in comparission to the Core portion. There is a lot of stuff to know...that is if the books I'm using are not going overboard with the information that they're providing.

Most likely it wont seem so bad in a couple of days after I've put in a large number of hours studying.

Suppose I'll find out soon how the two compare provided I pass this Friday (provided I don't wimp out and re-schedule).
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, you seem confident enought to pass OS, so on Friday go do it! I myself have not taken the Sec+ yet, so how studied compare to OS, I wouldn't know. I do know A+ is easy, and Sec+ is not. A lot of A+ books tend to go a bit overboard, becuase a lot of people who take it, are fresh starting off, and are practically computer illiterate, not to say you are....I still wouldn't underestimate your OS though. A+ wants you to know a little bit, about a lot of stuff. I think Sec+ wants you to know a lot, a real lot, without as many topics. Either way, if you study hard, you can do it. Good Luck....hope this helps...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Yup. Thanks Ricka182.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On a scale of 1 - 10 for Comptia exams I would rate A+ hardware as 1 - A+OS 2 - Net+ about 4 and Sec+ 10.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As I have done the a+ recently and security+ earlier this yr..they are about the same in amount u need to learn... A+ OS is alot harder than its given credit for maybe because the original A+ exam was lacking the newer OS's...but compared to the security+ its easier to pass...i passed sec+ on my 2nd attempt..although...i found out afterthe first attempt what information i was lacking to learn to pass it ( i read 3 txts to gather all the info in...piggybacking isnt mentioned in the sybex txt (who claim to cover all objectives - rubbish )for eg - basically u need more than 1 resource to pass it - as passmark is high)

When I did the A+ OS - there were a couple of Q's based as udf files and answer files which I was stumped on ( turned out to be a MCP Q)..but because the pass mark is lower than the hardware u should pass comfortably on ur first go.!
    Thanks everyone. And thanks awaisyboy for sharing your experiences with the exams. Very helpful.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    I have not taken either but I do know that A+ (both exams) are extremely EASY. Security+ is the TOUGHEST of the Comptia tests and has very difficult wording on the exam. In my opinion the two are not even comparable.

I have to disagree and say that the A+ and Network+ aren't easy. They're perhaps basic, but not easy. Even the most seasoned tech has an area or two they've not had as much experience with, and remembering every different connector, network type, and kind/configuration of SCSI.....

But the Security + is supposed to be a lot bigger/badder, so study hard.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
    Just completed the OS portion. Didn't score all that well but I passed (582). The exam was as I expected it to be. Pretty difficult. Its difficulty though is based primarily upon its scope as the questions dont require any real thinking. You either know or you dont. At least thats how it seems to me.

I'm hopeful that I'll be smart and review everything (A+ and Net+) before moving on to the next certification. But, based upon my history, I'm guessing that I'll review for a bit, get bored with the material, and decide to move on.

Anyway, I'm now A+ certified
    YAY!!! :)

So, should I go for Security+ next or MCP?
  • awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats- scored a similar score myself.. although wasnt fussed if i had a low mark as a pass is a pass.

Well whatever you choose its up to you. I feel you should take network+ before you go onto security+ as itwill help u understand it better.

Likewise with a mcp learning about network+ will be a natural progression b4 taking a mcp.

if you take MCP/sec+ next, you still be able to pass but with alot of effort. But, it does make life easier if you take network+ before you tackle those.
    Thanks awaisyboy.

You're right about the score. A pass is a pass and I'm content with it now. I'll just try to go over the material again and focus on topics noted on the report they gave me.
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    New User wrote:

MCP tests are a joke. Go for Security+. Go for stuff you need to progress in your job. Then, if you want to play around with your spare time, take an MCP test.... icon_confused.gif
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    New User wrote:

Your MCSA then add a SEC+ at the end for security. I wouldn't do anymore Comptia tests untill the MCSA is out of the way.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    New User wrote:

Your MCSA then add a SEC+ at the end for security. I wouldn't do anymore Comptia tests untill the MCSA is out of the way.

Definitely. I'm going to get all my MS exams for the MCSA, take the Net+ to go with my A+ to finish the elective. I'll probably take the Security+ after that because it's what I'm interested in and it counts as another elective for the MCSE.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber